GideonTech.com Forums

December 25, 2014, 03:35:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum members, click here to add yourself to the Gideontech Map!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help please! can I connect a wireless router to an existing wired network?  (Read 2772 times)
shooter
Senior Modder

« on: February 05, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »

Hello all,
  I just moved my office to a new department at work. I had wireless internet access at my old place, but the new one is wired in only, and has no extra connections avilable that I can use.
  It was ok'ed by my boss to add a wireless connection to the existing network, if I can figure out how to do it without screwing up the existing network.
  I was wondering how I might use a netgear wireless router to do this? I got the router free with my notebook computer, but I have never needed to connect it.
  We have a 6 port wired in router now in this network, and all the ports are in use. If anyone has any ideas on how to do it by perhaps connecting the router to an existing computer I would be very grateful.
  Thank you for reading my post, and in advance for any information you may be willing to give.
  Shooter===>>
GideonX
Administrator
Elite Modder

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:17:25 PM »

So you are one of the 6 connected to the existing router?

If so, connect the wired you are using into the WAN on the Netgear AP. Then go into config and set up the IP, gateway, etc. that you are given by your net. admin. That should do it unless I'm reading this wrong.

shooter
Senior Modder

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 07:06:13 AM »

Thank you for your reply.
  No, I am not on the wired network.
  I do have a wired public access station outside of my office that is for the use of all the workers, but we dont have individual computers in our offices. (The managers have one in theirs, but we do not.) That is the problem. If I had one in my office, I would just connect the hardwire to my laptop. Sorry I was unclear.
  Bottom line is, there is one open computer for the use of four salesmen. So if I want to use it, I have to wait for someone else to get off the public station to do so.
I was hoping to tap into that one's internet connection, and piggy back onto that somehow.
thank you for your help. Smile
BalefireX
Global Moderator
Elite Modder

http://pics.aran.ws

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:50:49 PM »

You can still connect it as GideonX suggested, just plug the wire for the computer that is currently using the port into one of the wired switched ports on the back of the wireless router.

shooter
Senior Modder

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 04:32:27 PM »

But will that still enable the wired computer I am disconnecting to continue to work? (If I reconnect the comptuer back into one of the wired ports on the back of the router?) Will that allow both the existing desktop and the laptop to work as well?
  As I said, 4 people share this machine now, I dont want to take it off line, I just want to add my note book to the network.
  I know I sound dense, that's because I am. LOL
  I did some more digging in the back office today, and found that the whole system is really a wireless system. But instead of going wireless into the existing computers, they used wired connections, and just use the wireless connection from our office across the street for the main wireless connection. So it comes into the building wireless, goes though a wireless switch of some kind, then into the router now and out via wired connections to the offices that have computers. It is a cisco set up, but all of the ports are in use.
Thanks again for your time.
shooter~*
blafrisch
Elite Modder

Blargg

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 05:56:45 PM »

But will that still enable the wired computer I am disconnecting to continue to work? (If I reconnect the comptuer back into one of the wired ports on the back of the router?) Will that allow both the existing desktop and the laptop to work as well?

Yes, that is the whole point of the router.

You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: