GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 03:10:12 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 7-Segment Temp Display question  (Read 4071 times)

brimal_rage

• Case Mod Weenie
7-Segment Temp Display question
« on: December 18, 2006, 02:49:01 AM »

how would i go about making one when i have a PCB with 2 sets on (3 individual digits on each set) and have the microcontroller in them?
it looks like the power plugs into it with 12V, basically a power plug that you normally plug into your computer, the 2x2 one. it has that plus a smaller 3x2 connecter, this came from a welder so im not quite sure what its for but im assuming its used to display temp or voltage. i can give you specs of the PCB or microcontroller if you need anything, just wondering if anyway possible i could hook this up to a computer and have it display temps, thanks.

another side question, whats VR1 stand for on the front side of a PCB?

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Re: 7-Segment Temp Display question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:35:09 AM »

If you're talking about the guide in here, the best thing you can do is to desolder the displays off the PCB.

brimal_rage

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:15:37 PM »

well seeing as how almost everything i need is on the PCB it wouldnt make much sense to take them off, id rather keep them on saving me some work. i just need to know how to power it and how to give it data and tell it what to display.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 05:15:47 PM »

If you're talking about the guide in here, the best thing you can do is to desolder the displays off the PCB.

I think this is the best thing to do.  What your wanting is more difficult that starting from scratch!
Today, the choice is mine.

brimal_rage

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 03:55:18 AM »

I think this is the best thing to do.  What your wanting is more difficult that starting from scratch!
if i started from scratch id make the same thing only put it on a diff PCB, thats about it. its easier to leave everything like it is and figure out whats what. i already figured out how to supply power, just need to figure out how to control them.

i7dude

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 11:47:24 AM »

if i started from scratch id make the same thing only put it on a diff PCB, thats about it. its easier to leave everything like it is and figure out whats what. i already figured out how to supply power, just need to figure out how to control them.

you can't just post and say that you have a pcb with 7-seg's and controllers on board and expect people to know how it works.  be more specific, what controllers are on the pcb?

have looked for any of the controller data sheets?  my guess is no.  do a little more homework before you ask such broad sweeping questions.

dude.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 03:08:02 PM »

Well, if your following the guide posted here, it will tell you exactly what you want to know (start over with the parts you have).  Other than that, be more specific, and give us something we can work with.  Part #'s would help, more info on your board, things like that.  The question you asked is like asking "how do I upgrade my computer from Win 98 to Vista?".  I'm sure we would all be willing to help, but if you ask, be ready for answers that you may not want to hear.

brimal_rage

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 11:48:14 PM »

i can tell you anything about the board, and i did look up data on the microcontrollers.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/sn74ls247.html#topsidemarking
those are th 2 microcontrollers on the board, the N type. but there is another controller on the board that ive looked for and cant find online. there are 3 controllers on the board and im not sure what the 3rd one does.
ATMEGA8-16Pc is what the 3rd controller says, its made by Atmel.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006, 08:17:05 AM »

http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/A/T/M/E/ATMEGA8-16PC.shtml

That took me all of 5 seconds and 1 google search.

brimal_rage

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 10:40:35 PM »

thats a picture of it, im not sure how much power it needs or where i would give it power. there are 2 plug ins on the right side, one white square and 1 black. the black one has 6 in it, much like some video cards power supply on the side needed from the psu. and the other one is like the 12 volt on a motherboard for power, 4 pins 2x2.

and no one told me what vr or vr1 means.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 20 queries.