GideonTech.com Forums

• June 24, 2019, 03:21:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching problem  (Read 1457 times)

jjj333

• Case Mod Weenie
Switching problem
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:59:32 PM »

Hi to all electronics experts & fans, (...me is the latter :) )

After having successfully transformed 4 octaves of my Roland Synth keyboard into a ‘Janko *) keyboard’, I want to transform the lowest octave of my Synth into (a quint circle) accordion bass, using 4066/4016 quad/SW.
At the same time I want to use this setup with my Live-Styler accompaniment (using Yamaha Styles). The problem is that the Live-Styler accompaniment requires pressing a Major key and another black key (next to it on its left) for Minor mode or another white key (next to it on its left) for Seventh mode.
Yet, my 120-button accordion bass (salvaged from an old Farfisa accordion) has only one row of Major buttons. Thus, my idea was to press, say the ‘C-Major button’ on my accordion bass and to use a foot switch, switching to Minor/Seventh.

Example: To get C-Major only requires pressing accordion button C-Major, yet, to get C-Seventh: requires pressing C-Major switch and B-Major switch (via footswitch).

+5V __/ A --> C-Major Key gate and __/ B--> H-Major Key gate

(A= Accodion-Button Switch // B= Foot Switch)

Description: +5V goes to –SW- when SW is activated the +5V go to C-Major gate of 4066 and as well to a foot switch, when foot switch is activated the +5V go to B-Major gate of 4066.

The above simple circuit is needed 12 times for 12 different Minor tunes and 12 times for 12 different Seventh tunes.
Note: Of course each switch or combination will be on only one at a time! So only one activated switch delivers +5V to the tune/key gate of 4066 (quadSw).

Question: How can I switch all 12 switches (electronically) via one foot switch (containing one switch for Minor and another switch for Seventh)?

I know, it would be easy to add 12 separate switches for Minor and another 12 separate switches for Seventh, but my accordion bass has no room for it and so, a foot switch would come handy!
Greetings & Regards from muso jjj in CHILE

*) I can send you my (no cost) plans!

Janko Info: http://www.well.com/%7Ejax/rcfb/Hayden_on_Reuther.html

http://improvise.free.fr/janko.htm

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Re: Switching problem
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:28:00 AM »

You could use an AND gate, 4081.
Only when both inputs are set high, you get a "1" on the output. You could connect this output to the 4066's control pin.

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
Re: Switching problem
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 04:32:53 PM »

I like the sound of your project, dude.

Note: Of course each switch or combination will be on only one at a time!
[...]
Question: How can I switch all 12 switches (electronically) via one foot switch (containing one switch for Minor and another switch for Seventh)?

Are you familiar with demultiplexers? (also knows as demux)
You can't get 12 outs from 1 in, but you can get 4 outs from 2 ins, 8 outs from 3 ins, and 16 outs from 4 ins (in general 2^N outs from N ins)

That would be one way to get the additional 2 input lines you're after. If you put together a pedal with a momentary switch at the heel and toe you have 4 distinct possible outputs with a demux.

Another thing that could work might be a rotary switch with a pedal arranged to turn the shaft.

Got any video of you playing this rig? I'd love to see it. (My keyboards all actuate strings with hammers, very 19th-century stuff)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.