GideonTech.com Forums

• July 18, 2019, 02:22:06 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Automotive Fan controller  (Read 3865 times)

YucA

• Elite Modder
Re: Automotive Fan controller
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 10:07:18 PM »

It seems to me like if 2 fans running all the time are taxing your electrical system, there are other things involved here.  I had a 1970 Chevel SS with an after market cooling fan and a fan on an after market transmission cooler, and never had a problem with the set up.  I was also running  450 watts worth of amplifiers, all on a replacement (stock) alternator with little/no drop in my voltage.  I would take a serious look at your electrical system...and double check your grounds.  It's been my experience that a bad ground can cause 75% of all electrical problems.  Are the fans powered directly from the battery with the relay's controlling the on/off?  Are you running anything else (amps, neon, etc)?  If you are, maybe a higher output alternator is in order here (or a second battery, used only for the accessories with the correct hardware to charge both batteries at once).  Another thing to consider is the gauge of wire you are using.  Remember, the larger the gauge, the easier the current is to flow (less resistance) and the less your electrical system has to work.

You still cant deny the fact that there are negative effects to the alternator and electrical system with prolonged exposure to high amperage.  My grounds are perfect, wiring is good..Stock wiring, but good except for the fans and relays, they have thicker wiring.  I do run a smaller battery to accomodate IC piping... No crazy systems in the car.  The coilpacks of the direct ignition pulls some nice amps, upgraded 255 walbro fuel pump sucks some serious power too.  Its just a known fact that when you put into consideration the battery size with the fans, coil packs, fuel pump, and all the other little sh*t, that alternator is being pushed.  Ive had 2 die on me.  Wiring is not the issue.  And dont tell me to get a bigger battery.... ;)

Can't you get a thermostat that can do that, or adapt one?

with a thermostat, i would usually have to install its own sensor, i want to avoid that...

It should be possible to set up a comparator and a relay.  You'd have to make two voltage dividers that would go to the inputs of the comparator and then have the comparator switch the relay on, though you may need to have it happen through a transistor.

im interested in details...  :D

Unfortuneately I can't help with the temp sensor, but have you thought about just running a couple switches for each fan?  You should be able to tell when you need the extra help roughly if you are comfrotable with your car.   I'll do some digging for the temp sensor relay.  Any specified temp you want them to kick in at?

Or if you installed a seperate temperature gauge, and right below it had the switches for the fan.  A quick glance you would know when to hit it.  Clearly not as effective as an automated system, just something to think about.

I just wanted to see if there was a way i would be able to have the fans turn on and off with a controller.  I can buy something for this, but whats the fun in that??  I do have a water temp gauge, and the switches would be the easiest way to execute this, but like i said, what fun is that...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:13:50 PM by YucA »

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 12:14:55 AM »

Now that I think about it, you'd probabally want a Schmidt trigger to introduce some hysteresis into the system.  How big are the fans?  You might be able to get by with a logic-level MOSFET instead of a relay.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2006, 12:47:06 AM »

i was looking into MOSFETs but i dont know too much about implementation and whatnot.  I dont really know what a Schmidt trigger is so im gonna go read up on that...Ahh Op amps, im down to play with all of this.  Any help or leads to a possible chematic would be badass.  or even some more info.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 12:49:46 AM by YucA »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.