GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 12:43:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: momentary button switch modification help  (Read 1363 times)

HTPC

• Case Mod Weenie
momentary button switch modification help
« on: November 27, 2006, 04:57:56 AM »

Hello everyone.

I came across this board while searching for instruction that can guide me with an idea that's in my head. I was searching because I have no clue about electronics/circuits.

My computer case has a bay door that opens to reveal a CDROM drive. A momtary button switch is placed so that when the bay door is CLOSED it completes the circuit to turn a trim light on. When the bay door is open, the circuit loop is open and the light goes off.

Is there a way I can utilize this connection to do the following?

I am in the middle of adding the second momentary button switch to open my CDROM drive from a different location. This simple mod is doen with adding another button attaching to existing CDROM's button and just extending it by adding longer wires. When my bay door is CLOSED, I would like my second (let's call it the button#2) button that is tied to CDROM to be diabled. When my bay door is OPEN I would like this button#2 to be enabled.

As you can see, my little knowledge cannot come up with anything since my logical thinking isn't trained. When Button#1(bay door) is ON only when the door is closed. And this is the time I want Button#2 to be disabled. But Button#1 completes the circuit when it is closed... so I'm hoping there are ways to reverse this connection using parts or chips.

Replacing Button#1 is not optional since it is none like I've ever seen. Only the manufacture of the computer case makes them and they are not able to help me at all.

Thank you in advance.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
Re: momentary button switch modification help
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 08:38:13 AM »

Get a "normal closed momentary button" for the bay door, and connect it in series with the CD's button.
Normal closed(or however it's called in english) means that when the button isn't beign pressed, the circuit is closed, and when you push the button, you open the circuit.

HTPC

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:44:23 PM »

Thank you.

The problem is that the bay door's momentary button cannot be replaced. It was specially made for this bay door model and it's not a normal button that I'd find in RadioShack.

I was reading further and discovered SPDT relay. Depending on where I position two sets of wires the circuit will open or close as I want them to be.

Anyone know if this is the only way to reverse the connection? Anyone can tell me where I can find SPDT relay? (again RadioShack sells one but it's huge in size).

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 01:33:47 AM »

A relay would be overkill I think.
You might find that same button in any other online store, other than RS. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.