GideonTech.com Forums

• June 24, 2019, 10:38:18 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Automotive Fan controller  (Read 3844 times)

YucA

• Elite Modder
Automotive Fan controller
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:01:52 PM »

I have two electric fans installed in my car to cool the radiator.  Each one has its own 30amp relay, and they are both running off ign. source.  This causes me to have the fans running 100% of the time, which is taxing my electrical system more than i would like. 

I would like to know if anyone knows how i would be able to go about putting together some sort of controller to be able to engage each fan at a specified temperature. 

All of the units sold for this function are usually quite a bit more than 100 bucks.  Figured i should be able to make something happen with some help or ideas...

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: Automotive Fan controller
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:05:57 AM »

i wasnt aware they made always on fans for cars, i havent seen any

my first thought would be to get a used unit and/or fan that already does that with similar amounts of cooling power on everyone's favorite auction site or something

logicslayer

• Senior Modder
    • The OtR Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:39:22 AM »

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX and it come off and on automatically. Yet I still feel that my electrical system is taking a hit somewhere. For example if the car is running I have my hazards on and my door open all lights in the car dim in time with the hazards. Any reason on that?
Sorry for whoring your post.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:41:07 AM by hyper_threader »

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 10:47:14 AM »

I am not talking factory.  My car is very far from factory.  These are aftermarket fans that i installed myself, along with the relays.  Plus i dont have the original motor or ecu on the car, so the ecu doesnt do anything for me here...

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX and it come off and on automatically. Yet I still feel that my electrical system is taking a hit somewhere. For example if the car is running I have my hazards on and my door open all lights in the car dim in time with the hazards. Any reason on that?
Sorry for whoring your post.

you have a problem in your electrical system.  Check your engine grounds, connections to the battery and connections on the alternator.  Could be that your alternator is going byebye.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 10:49:47 AM by YucA »

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »

Are the fans always working?
What problems are you having with the electrical system?

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:53:03 PM »

i dont have electrical problems.  Hyper_threader posted some problems and i told him whats up...

Like i specified in the first thread.  The fan are on 100% of the time.  The relays are being switched on by ignition.  This has no relevance to what i asked.  This is the way I wired them up initially.  Its all correct.  My problem is that because the fans are always on, they are stressing my electrical system.  I want a way to control them.

I want to get signal from the OEM water temp sensor.  When it reaches a temp that i specify, i want it to turn on one fan.  When it reaches a higher temp, i want it to turn on the other fan.  Its basically a circuit that will read the signal from the water temp sensor and enable the relays to each fan.  Now it needs to support a total of 60amps because each relay is rated at 30a...

Sully

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »

Unfortuneately I can't help with the temp sensor, but have you thought about just running a couple switches for each fan?  You should be able to tell when you need the extra help roughly if you are comfrotable with your car.   I'll do some digging for the temp sensor relay.  Any specified temp you want them to kick in at?

Or if you installed a seperate temperature gauge, and right below it had the switches for the fan.  A quick glance you would know when to hit it.  Clearly not as effective as an automated system, just something to think about.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:56:23 PM by Sully »

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »

It should be possible to set up a comparator and a relay.  You'd have to make two voltage dividers that would go to the inputs of the comparator and then have the comparator switch the relay on, though you may need to have it happen through a transistor.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »

Can't you get a thermostat that can do that, or adapt one?

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 09:07:21 PM »

It seems to me like if 2 fans running all the time are taxing your electrical system, there are other things involved here.  I had a 1970 Chevel SS with an after market cooling fan and a fan on an after market transmission cooler, and never had a problem with the set up.  I was also running  450 watts worth of amplifiers, all on a replacement (stock) alternator with little/no drop in my voltage.  I would take a serious look at your electrical system...and double check your grounds.  It's been my experience that a bad ground can cause 75% of all electrical problems.  Are the fans powered directly from the battery with the relay's controlling the on/off?  Are you running anything else (amps, neon, etc)?  If you are, maybe a higher output alternator is in order here (or a second battery, used only for the accessories with the correct hardware to charge both batteries at once).  Another thing to consider is the gauge of wire you are using.  Remember, the larger the gauge, the easier the current is to flow (less resistance) and the less your electrical system has to work.
Today, the choice is mine.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.