GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2020, 01:01:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film  (Read 72115 times)

geogray

• Case Mod Weenie
Re: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2006, 10:05:56 AM »

I knew Wargames and JP would cause quite a stir.

Wargames entire 'kid hacks, starts missile launch while being all interactive with the system' just irks me.

And I still issue the same challenge, find me a little girl you know personally who knows UNIX. I would have said the same thing if the little boy blirted out that line. I discriminate against all sexes ;)

WarGames was quite the film when it came out.  Having watched it recently, I can fully understand it's position on this list (which, btw, is fairly accurate) and here's why I say that:
The first, and biggest, blunder is the voice box.  Yeah, they were around then (I had one myself) BUT...they did not keep on talking when they were turned off (scene right after Joshua called back, MB's character UNPLUGGED the ACOUSTIC COUPLER-not modem-but the computer keeps on talking)
There was NO voice box in the McGittricks office.  You MB's character asking Joshua for Falken's address and HEAR Joshua's response.  No speaker, box, etc. is ever seen.  And it would NOT make sense that the government would have used the same tech as he.  Also, it is not inconcievable that a high schooler would have had such tech--you could go to Radio Shack back then and buy the necessary parts to build it.  I forget the chip number, but it was readily available and not very expensive. Also, I believe that was an actor's voice and not a real synthetic voice.
Why are all control rooms in such films so large and DARK anyway?  Were they too cheap to put up walls?  Just curious.
The very idea that the Imsai could even RUN the programs is ridiculous.  The government's big top secret computer used an 8080?  I don't think so.
Why are sysadmins always fat and stupid?  'You cut the line, you cut the line'  Please!  The government ALWAYS traces phone calls?  Well, ok, maybe.
"Computers don't call back" - um, yeah, they can.  I seem to remember several bbs's from that very same time that 'validated' you by calling back.
NORAD:  How is it that the kids knew where to run?  The woman greeting them was behind them.
NORAD:  The men in the 'loop'...why was Mr. West Wing guy still there?  He should have been disciplined for failing to follow through on orders.  Also,
the same scene where they were removing the chairs...why do that?  Replacing the panels also seems stupid.  I realize the scene was there to show that the men were replaced, but it's just stupid.  If command and control could even be replaced by Joshua, there should have been no reason at all for those rooms.  It would have re-routed elsewhere.
Joshua's militaristic look is also stupid.  I thought it was cool then, but in hindsight, the government would have just used plain and simple upright cages.  Or, worse, beige colored tower cases ! (Ok, maybe not then...)

WarGames is one of my favorite movies, so don't think I'm picking it apart because I hate it.  Quite the contrary.  One of the reasons I love it so much is because I was very close to Broderick's age in the movie when it came out.  I had had access to a similar S-100 bus based system before that (it was an Imsai/Altair clone, same colored case too!) and had a Xerox 820 around the time the film came out.  I also had an acoustic coupler very much like the one in the movie and my printer was similar as well.  I even had my own vcr in my room, though it was much newer than that JVC VidStar was (which, btw, was the FIRST VHS machine available.)  So, watching this move (sans the drama) is like going back in time.  It's nostalgiac now. Go figure.

geogray

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »

ID4 was considered, but when there's Aliens involved, I had to pass it by.
Why is this?  ID4 has THE worst offending use of a laptop of all time.  What's worse, is that the Apple laptop seems to change throughout the film.  At one point, it was a Dell.  C'mon...what do you have against aliens anyway? I could understand not including films like Star Wars and Trek, but ID4 is set in contemporary times.  Just because there are aliens should not preclude it.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2006, 12:24:08 PM »

Well, if I included ID4, I would have had to include Star Wars and the like. That would have opened up a huge can of worms.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

xjake

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2006, 12:51:47 PM »

OK, I was sure Jurassic Park was going to be on this list, and it was, but not for the reason that I would have made it number one... When Dennis Nedry, the fat guy, is supposedly talking to the guy down on the dock, and there's supposedly a live video feed of the guy on the dock, it's just a freaking quicktime movie! You can even see the progress indicator!

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2006, 12:52:48 PM »

Yup, saw that as well. But I thought my choice would raise a few more eyebrows ;)

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Angel Blue01

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2006, 05:51:35 PM »

Reminders, the girl in JP was 12. My uncles were programming in BASIC when they were 12 (I didnt do any programming until I was 15). Steve Jobs hacked computers when he was 12.

That was the first time I'd ever heard of UNIX (I was 11 when I saw the movie in 1996). As much as I like a computer geek girl, the book handled it better. The boy was 10 and solved the problem by interacting with the computer via its touch screen, while the 5 year old girl screamed her head off.

I nominate Godzilla 2000. The good guys use Macs, escept for the annoying-reporter-lady, who got her Win98 laptop hacked wirelessly. The aliens hacked into the bad guy's Windows database and search it for information on Godzilla after being on Earth for only a few days. The bad guys also get their branded Windows CE devices hacked.

givemeliberty23

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2006, 01:44:02 AM »

The most fantastic element of these films is that the hackers are actually hot. And by the way, DVD is not film.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2006, 05:33:36 AM »

I have nothing usefull to add, but there seem to be alot of people out there that take there movies WAY too seriously.  They also seem to be a little angry.  I think the list is a good starting point Ed, and hope some of the new members will put their $$$ where ther mouth is and rise to the challenge of doing what thet say they can do.
Today, the choice is mine.

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2006, 07:35:49 AM »

And by the way, DVD is not film.
ARE YOU SERIOUS.

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2006, 02:00:15 PM »

And by the way, DVD is not film.

I find thay very amusing.  If it weren't for the film, there would be no DVD of those movies!  I think I'm gonna go rent Wargames tonight just to watch it again.  The tech value is laughable, but entertainment value is awesome.  Gid, get rid of all these worthless opinions!   :P

This is off topic, but who here has seen Grandma's Boy?  I laughed my a$$ off.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 02:05:44 PM by wonko »
Today, the choice is mine.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 34 queries.