GideonTech.com Forums

• December 05, 2019, 10:56:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film  (Read 66343 times)

chase!

• Elite Modder
  • The Internet!
Re: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2006, 04:59:57 PM »

hay

phreakincool

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2006, 05:08:55 PM »

The idea of getting a fax scanner recognized by an iPod is borderline fantasy in my opinion. But who knows, iFax?

That just shows a complete lack of understanding of how analog devices work.

Just for example: The modem section of a FAX is an analog device by design.  Its uses a DAC - Digital to Analog Converter to change digital information from the scanner to analog signal that is then modulated into audible pattern which is then transmitted over the phone line.   The mic input of an IPOD, not iPod mini, has has an ADC - Analog to Digital Converter. Do the maths... Its the same principle behind electronic credit card scanners, analog tape drives, etc.

Remember that scene in Wargames where Broderick's character uses his Walkman to capture the security door key-codes, then plays them back, unlocking the door? Very possible.  For Firewall, just substitue the iPod for the Walkman.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 05:14:26 PM by phreakincool »

phreakincool

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »

The Net was not added mainly because, well, I thought I'd give some other films a chance. There are a LOT of films that can fall into this list, can't put them all in here ;)

JP's little girl was just zany. Yes, I'm sure there are little girls out there in the world that can do this. However, what gets me is with showing this in film, the mass public will think UNIX is a common thing little girls (or boys) should be masters at. Honest truth is, it's not. Most adults aren't experts or 'know' it, let alone kids.

What planet are you from, man?

Kids today know 100 times more about computers than their parents ever did.  That's the way its always been. Always will be.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »

Kids today know 100 times more about computers than their parents ever did.  That's the way its always been. Always will be.

Present me with the command to find the a file named "blargg" on a Unix machine...

Can't?  Didn't think so.

What kid uses Unix at home?  I am a computer professional and I rarely use anything beyond Windows and Linux.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

abrasiveone

• Senior Modder
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2006, 06:25:33 PM »

find / -name "blargg" -print
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield - ASUS P5N32-E SLI - 4GB CORSAIR Dominator - 2x EVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2006, 06:49:58 PM »

find / -name "blargg" -print

Shhh, I asked that guy.

* EDIT *

And this was my 1500th post, I'm lame.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

abrasiveone

• Senior Modder
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2006, 06:51:53 PM »

Sorry about that.......and gratz.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield - ASUS P5N32-E SLI - 4GB CORSAIR Dominator - 2x EVGA GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB

bliq

• Elite Modder
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2006, 07:36:02 PM »

What about that Schwartzenegger film with an evil company that had to be renamed Cyrex because the REAL Cyrix sued???  (Eraser???)

Oh man, Vanessa Williams was hot in that film.

And M:I, I loved the room where there was one desk and one lonely guy working there.  What the hell did he do anyways?  Ah well, a bureaucrat so maybe it was semi believable...

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2006, 09:58:30 PM »

I'm from Planet Earth, you?

Yes, kids are quicker to learn things than adults, that's a given. However, find me a little girl you know personally who knows UNIX then I'll be impressed.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2006, 10:01:50 PM »

That just shows a complete lack of understanding of how analog devices work.

Just for example: The modem section of a FAX is an analog device by design.  Its uses a DAC - Digital to Analog Converter to change digital information from the scanner to analog signal that is then modulated into audible pattern which is then transmitted over the phone line.   The mic input of an IPOD, not iPod mini, has has an ADC - Analog to Digital Converter. Do the maths... Its the same principle behind electronic credit card scanners, analog tape drives, etc.

Remember that scene in Wargames where Broderick's character uses his Walkman to capture the security door key-codes, then plays them back, unlocking the door? Very possible.  For Firewall, just substitue the iPod for the Walkman.

Everything is possible, even cloning Dinosaurs. The idea of the article was top ten worst portrayals. 'Hacking' an iPod to an un-educated public will make them think it's like child's play to hook up a scanner to an iPod. Or, that an iPod is not just a magical MP3 player, but also a magical recorder now. To actually have that work is much more complex than they let on, which in my opinion is a bad portrayal of technology.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.