GideonTech.com Forums

• April 23, 2017, 12:26:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film  (Read 54446 times)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
Re: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 07:39:54 AM »

But that's just one of many tech absurdities in Disclosure. The biggest and most obvious or envious absurdity for geeks was having a boss that looked like Demi Moore wrestle you down in your office and give you a ..

Wait, bosses don't do that? ;)

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Syberz

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 08:11:28 AM »

I have two "good" ones worth mentioning but they're TV shows. They are just so over the top its ridiculous.

1- CSI: whichever
Anybody notice that whatever piece of software they use always has an over the top GUI? And I'm sorry, but you can't get a super duper high resolution close up of a note sticking out of some guys back pocket via a sh*tty black and white low resolution cctv camera, not even if you "boost the resolution". Also the fact that ANYTHING (prints, cars, pens, paint) can be found in a database within minutes is laughable, specially when you can see that all the possibilities scroll on the screen picture and all.

2- 24
Love the show, but the techno babble the CTU people use is gibberish and the magic they do with images is also CSI like. Most of the things they do with computers makes absolutely no sense, ex: "Hey, somebody's logged into our system, let me open a command prompt and type a few lines of code directly in there... voilą, its Roger and he's using a laptop and he's sitting on the can at home, lemme pull up a wireframe plan of his house, I've got him on infrared".

suninmoon

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 09:57:10 AM »

I know it may be considered Sci-Fi but you can forget Independence Day. An Apple Powerbook interfacing with an alien ship and uploaded a virus to it?

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 09:58:56 AM »

ID4 was considered, but when there's Aliens involved, I had to pass it by.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Metroid74

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 10:54:18 AM »

Wow this is the Worst top Ten list for this subject EVER! 
first off what is Jurassic Park doing in here if you are not harping on Dino Cloning?
Or Transporter 2 unless you are harping on the physics automobile acrobatics?
These are both action movies that are using a small bit of tech to push the plot forward.

Now where is The Net where the Tech is the Plot and it's all bad, Or Sneakers, or that movie
with Keanu Reeves about cold fusion?   I'd mention Jonny Nemonic but it seems like we are talking
movies set in the contempary present. 

This is a flawed list and should be taken off DIGG

dontera

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2006, 10:56:51 AM »

I need to rebut your reasoning for nominating Firewall as #1...

Harrison Ford's character used the scanning/transmitting circuits from a Fax machine.. a machine designed to transmit visual data as an analog signal over phone lines, meaning it could VERY easily be stored as audio data on a portable music player, assuming it has the ability to record an incoming signal (not owning an iPod, I dont think they actually do, but the concept works).

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2006, 11:02:27 AM »

Wow this is the Worst top Ten list for this subject EVER! 
first off what is Jurassic Park doing in here if you are not harping on Dino Cloning?
Or Transporter 2 unless you are harping on the physics automobile acrobatics?
These are both action movies that are using a small bit of tech to push the plot forward.

Now where is The Net where the Tech is the Plot and it's all bad, Or Sneakers, or that movie
with Keanu Reeves about cold fusion?   I'd mention Jonny Nemonic but it seems like we are talking
movies set in the contempary present. 

This is a flawed list and should be taken off DIGG

Dino Cloning is actually not that far fetched.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10964628/site/newsweek/

Although not Dino's themselves, they are attempting to clone 28K year old mammoths. So yes, this technology is actually quite real and not 'Star Trek' like. Hence, Jurassic Park was added.

What part of Transporter 2 didn't you understand?

The Net was left off, well, because I thought others deserved some glory.

I don't think it should be taken off DIGG, 600+ other people don't think so either. Thanks for replying though, feedback is always appreciated.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2006, 11:05:44 AM »

I need to rebut your reasoning for nominating Firewall as #1...

Harrison Ford's character used the scanning/transmitting circuits from a Fax machine.. a machine designed to transmit visual data as an analog signal over phone lines, meaning it could VERY easily be stored as audio data on a portable music player, assuming it has the ability to record an incoming signal (not owning an iPod, I dont think they actually do, but the concept works).

The idea of getting a fax scanner recognized by an iPod is borderline fantasy in my opinion. But who knows, iFax?

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

dontera

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2006, 11:22:45 AM »

The idea of getting a fax scanner recognized by an iPod is borderline fantasy in my opinion. But who knows, iFax?

Just take the telephone line out from the fax circuitry and splice it into a standard phono jack, assuming what you plug it into has the ability to record that signal (which again, I dont think a standard iPod does)...

Metroid74

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 11:40:18 AM »

Dino Cloning is actually not that far fetched.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10964628/site/newsweek/

Although not Dino's themselves, they are attempting to clone 28K year old mammoths. So yes, this technology is actually quite real and not 'Star Trek' like. Hence, Jurassic Park was added.

What part of Transporter 2 didn't you understand?

The Net was left off, well, because I thought others deserved some glory.

I don't think it should be taken off DIGG, 600+ other people don't think so either. Thanks for replying though, feedback is always appreciated.

Ok I said you should not mention JP unless you are harping on the Dino Cloning and that Tech
they need Viable DNA to Clone a Mammoth and an Elephant Egg.  Not just non vialble DNA from
Bugs encased in Amber, plus a viable egg. 

The Tranporter 2 was just way out there with the car stunts and the Tech of sending the info to the car
was just a plot device to futher the plot it was not a tech movie.

And if you are making a top 10 list you cant just drop the obvious #1 becasue you want to make room for other stinkers.

it should be taken off Digg becasue it is not an honset top 10.  Or at least re-lable it as 10 bad tech examples from movies in no particular order.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.