GideonTech.com Forums

• July 20, 2017, 09:30:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film  (Read 55344 times)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film
« on: September 21, 2006, 08:21:34 PM »

Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film

Aside from the daily duties here at GideonTech.com, we also like to unwind in front of the tube and catch a movie or two. With the explosion of technology in every day scenarios, it's common to find references to computers, iPods and other gadgets and geek toys in film.

It's one thing to make a fantasy movie, it's another to dream up impossible technological feats in a modern day drama. Just because technical jargon would fly right over most people's heads, there's no reason to make up stuff.

Today, we're going to list the Top 10 worst violators.

Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film

Digg this article!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 09:01:40 PM by GideonX »

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
Re: Tech Bits: Top 10 Worst Portrayals of Technology in Film
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 08:27:09 PM »

I was so glad to see JP on there.  Being the nerd that I am I couldn't stand that scene.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 08:32:06 PM »

I love it guys.  But I'll tell ya what as an AE, Stealth made me cringe every 10 minutes or so.  I'd agree with the listings.  But come on, Wargames was the shizzle in 80s. 

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 08:40:38 PM »

I love it guys.  But I'll tell ya what as an AE, Stealth made me cringe every 10 minutes or so.  I'd agree with the listings.  But come on, Wargames was the shizzle in 80s. 

That's why it's #10 ;)

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »

Let's get this to the frontpage, Digg this article!

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Indigo.inc

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:13 AM »

It is on the frontpage, hoorah!

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 01:38:04 AM »

Been tweaking the site for the past hour. Finally got it to be able to support all the traffic. I need sleep :(

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

greenhead

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 05:45:39 AM »

How did Electric Dreams (1984) not make this list? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087197/

The plot? A guy buys a home computer, in 1984 mind you, that is as intelligent as HAL...though has graphics that rival the TRS-80 Coco. The computer flips out after having champaign spilled on its keyboard then falls in love with the cello player that lives downstairs. The computer becomes jealous when his "owner" falls in love with her too and starts making all the electronic things in the apartment fail.

SalinityBased

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 06:19:47 AM »

I had to register to let you know what I thought was the most unbelievable tech film but I'll get to that a little later.

Remembering War Games I found the final climactic scenes to be silly. I'm a little fuzzy on the details but somehow global thermo nuclear war would begin when a password was deciphered by the super computer. The only problem with that is that the process of deciphering the password was displayed in real time on a wall sized screen in a large control room. But in a process that made a three dial combination bike lock seem super unbreakable, individual characters of the password were being determined, one at a time. Sort of like a really cheap version of the bike lock I mentioned where you could put a little force on the mechanism while turning the dials or levers and feel some give whenever you got to a correct position. Anyway, determining the password wasn't an all or none process. Somehow it could be deciphered one character at a time.

The film you've left out is Disclosure with Michael Douglas and Demi Moore. There was lots of tech in that film with a gorgeous office building that was mainly empty space - in the manner of the Frank Lloyd Wright Guggenheim Museum.  There was a scene where some incriminating files had to be deleted (or saved depending on the characters). The business database was handled with a virtual reality 3D system. In order to delete files a user hand to enter a virtual reality station. At that point in the virtual reality environment the user would walk into a large room filled with file cabinets. The user would then find the particular cabinet and drawer where the desired file was located (number based I think, though it doesn't make much difference if it was name based). The file drawer had to be opened and the particular file virtually physically pulled out. Surprisingly at that point dropping the file on the floor deleted it from the system.

It's lucky the virtual reality system didn't go back to pre paper like systems. One would have to use a virtual chisel and stone to work the database.

But that's just one of many tech absurdities in Disclosure. The biggest and most obvious or envious absurdity for geeks was having a boss that looked like Demi Moore wrestle you down in your office and give you a ..

Yeah. That's tech reality.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 07:39:06 AM »

How did Electric Dreams (1984) not make this list? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087197/

The plot? A guy buys a home computer, in 1984 mind you, that is as intelligent as HAL...though has graphics that rival the TRS-80 Coco. The computer flips out after having champaign spilled on its keyboard then falls in love with the cello player that lives downstairs. The computer becomes jealous when his "owner" falls in love with her too and starts making all the electronic things in the apartment fail.

Because it's not available on DVD.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.