GideonTech.com Forums

• July 19, 2019, 10:09:05 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me make a fan controller But need help  (Read 1382 times)

FormatC

• GT Fanatic
    • Peter's Wacky World
Help me make a fan controller But need help
« on: October 06, 2006, 08:31:53 PM »

I want to make a fan controller for my HTPC as it's too loud as is with 2 60 MM fans and a 92 MM fan. I know where to start as I found plans On This Page I want to mount the potometers in a case PCI Slot blank as my silverstone LC-14 does not have any 5.25 or 3.5" bays exposed. I found two kits on http://www.vakkits.com/ and I was wondering which one I should get or is there a better kit out there?

This Kit Uses a shunt  regulator and only goes down to 3 V (but most fans stop at 5V anyway) but comes with a nice PCB so I just have to put on the parts an solder in place

or

This Kit Which only comes with a proto-type board so I would have a more difficult time soldering the parts on it as I would have to follow the plans above at the URL plus it only supports 100MA (With the regulators it comes with but I assume I can replace it with a higher current one like a LM338 and still have the right reseistors and other stuff ?)

Any other tips I should know about? and there other websites out there that sells kits with nice premade PCBS that I can just put the parts on and solder? Thanks
Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open up windows.

Computer Screwed up? Hate M$ Windows Then Why not
Format C: The answer to all of your Computer problems.

Here is a test to find out whether your mission
on earth

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Re: Help me make a fan controller But need help
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 09:17:42 PM »

Well the first one is AC to DC, so you wouldn't want that.  The second one uses the lowest-current variant of the LM317, but is DC to DC.  Try this one.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

FormatC

• GT Fanatic
    • Peter's Wacky World
Re: Help me make a fan controller But need help
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 05:45:05 AM »

How about this kit I found by searching google  This LM317T Kit that comes with a nice PCB and everything so I just have to solder on the parts and I'm done I want to order four of the kits above (Two for each computer) and can I just replace the LM317T with a LM338, LM350 ,or any other higher current regulator and can I replace the potometer with another one so I can mount it in a PCI slot blank? As my HTPC Case has no open drive bays 3.5 or 5.25" and  I know the regulators need heatsinks I got plenty of them from old CPUs and Dead mbs and power supplys
Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open up windows.

Computer Screwed up? Hate M$ Windows Then Why not
Format C: The answer to all of your Computer problems.

Here is a test to find out whether your mission
on earth
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.