GideonTech.com Forums

• October 04, 2022, 12:39:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Bits: Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2  (Read 11055 times)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
Tech Bits: Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2
« on: September 07, 2006, 08:58:04 AM »

Tech Bits: Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2

Since Microsoft was freely giving away Beta 2 copies of Windows Vista a couple of weeks ago, I decided to pick up a copy of the 32bit and 64bit DVDs. They are actually not hard to get. You just needed to answers a few questions from their quiz and wait a week or two for them to ship it.

So what kind of experience can we expect to see within the first few minutes of running vista? We're going to take a look and see how Vista visually shapes up to a first time user.

Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Shad0wHawk

• Senior Modder
  • Networking's my business and business is ok 4 now
Re: Tech Bits: Microsoft Windows Vista Beta 2
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 10:21:47 AM »

I ordered a copy as well. But did not get offered the 64 bit version :cry:
Terminus ad quem, terminus ad quo.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 11:01:44 AM »

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 11:17:41 AM »

Can those of us broadband-challenged buy a physical copy?

I've lost faith in that link someone posted where the India division would send us a free disc... what was it, four weeks ago?

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 11:32:44 AM »

Looked like they changed the min specs for the OS as well with this new release..

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/capable.mspx

Lower the Proc from 1Ghz to 800Mhz
Then Doubled the Min Ram from 256 to 512.

IMHO the 512 should be the lowest with all of the enhancments on the new UI.

Plus the RC1 is not open for the public right now..
is now available for priority access by Customer Preview Program (CPP) participants only.

Now live in the Twin cities.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »

RC2 is now available: http://download.windowsvista.com/preview/rc2/en/download.htm

I finally decided to try since I wanted to reload my PC anyway.  Right now I am dual boot Vista RC2 / XP SP2, but I think I may add some variant of Linux in the near future (Ubuntu didn't play well with my RAID controller last night).

So far my experience with Vista is going very well.  While I couldn't find SetPoint drivers easily :( everything else has gone smoothly.  I find it as responsive as XP if not more.  And mind you, I turn off all the graphical crap in XP and everything is on in Vista right now.

My PC for reference:
Athlon XP-M 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz
Abit AN-7 Mobo
128MB ATI 9800 Pro (hacked to be XT)
Onboard NForce Audio
Dual Samsung 160GB HDs in RAID 0 on SI3112 onboard controller

* EDIT *

SetPoint 3.10 works perfectly fine on the 32-bit version of Vista; I have read that 64-bit users are not so lucky though.  Everything works for me now.  I'll probably give an update in a few days with my experience.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2006, 03:21:42 PM by blafrisch »
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Dave303

• Elite Modder
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 05:08:58 PM »

Like the beta I got the RC1 On dvd and I am sure buy this time next month I will have RC2 on DVD. I been Playing with office 2007 since I was needing excel for an application I been using.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 02:59:02 PM »

Update on my Vista RC2 experience thus far:

- SetPoint 3.10 does work, but not the volume controls.  Windows seems to be handling volume control in a new way.  SetPoint was assigned its own volume to control which has no effect on the "Speaker" output or the "WinAmp" output.  I called them that because it seems Vista does it on a per program basis and one main.  I think this is a cool feature but Logitech obviously has to catch up a little.
- IE crashes.  Who didn't expect that?  Occasionally when IE is seemingly fine, not even loading a new page or anything it will just crash and Vista asks if you want to restart or not.  It will not return you to your current page and if you have many tabs open it is a pain in the @$$
- The 3D window selection thing (if you press Windows Key + Tab or its in the Quick Launch) is really cool.  It is however incredibly impractical and could never see myself using it.
- Alt + Tab is greatly improved since you get a little preview of the windows in it.  A side note would be that this is a free feature with XP as a PowerToy though.
- I don't like that Shut Down, Reboot, Standby, Etc doesn't get its own larger button in the start menu like in XP.  It is just a little arrow (like >) in the start menu.
- All programs no longer comes up to the right of the start menu, it is nested inside.  I really didn't like this feature because if I wanted to see all programs I want it to be easier to see rather than being in that small area.  I mean, if I paused my mouse over it did I really want to see what was running in the background or did I want to see all programs?

I actually wanted to get some work done today, so I'm back to using XP SP2 for now.  I may switch back to Vista again later in the week, but for now it's impractical.

Looking forward (A conversation with myself :P):
Do I see myself using Vista when it comes out?
No.

Even if it was free?
No.

Why?
Because I am currently using the Ultimate version in this trial.  This is the best Vista has to offer.  I think that XP is more usable especially since many drivers have not come out for Vista.

Do I see myself moving to Vista ever, if so when?
Yes, when drivers are readily available, DirectX 10 is out, and Vista is reported as being more stable.  I don't think this culmination will come together until the middle of next year though.  If XP supports DirectX 10 and gets continued support for a while, I may not switch for years.  I can explain this very simply: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 03:01:47 PM by blafrisch »
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

nOObee

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 03:45:44 PM »

Worst news I've heard this week:  Directx10 will only be available to Vista users.  sigh.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 03:57:05 PM »

Do I see myself moving to Vista ever, if so when?
Yes, when drivers are readily available, DirectX 10 is out, and Vista is reported as being more stable.  I don't think this culmination will come together until the middle of next year though.  If XP supports DirectX 10 and gets continued support for a while, I may not switch for years.  I can explain this very simply: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I know there are a lot of people thinking the same thing on this. I do think we will start seeing more and more RANTS about XP not working or we have to upgrade before we wanted to with in the next year. As a lot of tech people pointed out when XP license is flaky at best when it 1st came out, It does gives MS the trump card and can force you to upgrade. When will they use it, dont know, but I do see it in the furture.

everyone I know used 2k for as long as they could and a lot started switching when SP2 came out (More for support than need). I started using it more when my work said they were switching.

N00bee: thats been out for a while now.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 32 queries.