GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 06:16:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I want to get into robotics, but need help on finding a kit.  (Read 1516 times)

Paroga

• Case Mod Weenie

Hi all! I've looking around on the net for programmable robotics kits. There are a few companies tht make them, however, the expandability on some of them isn't that great. I'm looking for a kit that is expandable with extra sensors and what not. I'm a beginner and a kit with room would be great. I have looked at Lynx, BOE-Bot, and the Mark III. Lynx Motion has cool bases, MArk III has the sensor upgrades.

I'm also looking for any personal experiance with any one of these kits. Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot about he new Lego Mindstorm NXT kits. That looks really good. Prolly get that soon. Anybody have one of those?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:48:09 AM by Paroga »
You might be a redneck if you use the chain from your wallet to keep you kids close.

neostar63

• Senior Modder
Re: I want to get into robotics, but need help on finding a kit.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 01:48:38 AM »

I have used the mindstorms kits(the older ones) and didn't really like them. Look up a kit that involves something called the handy board. I built one of those this year and you are able to do some pretty fun things with that.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:01:13 AM »

I have used the Lynxmotion SES kit to build a few robots. 1st complete robot was Bart (list on the front page on this forum) 2nd is the Hexapod (soon to be octapod. I have to say there SES kit are nice and they have lots of insructions on how to build a robot.

It comes down to what type are you looking at?? Rover (battle bot style), Biped (2 legged robot) Or multi legged beast??

sensors can be added on the Lynxmotion robots but some may require you to pick them up some place else and you have to figure out how to read it off the analog or digital sensor line.
Now live in the Twin cities.

Excess3

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 10:55:33 AM »

For your very first foray into the wonderful world of robotics I would go with the legos.  It is a very very nice kitl  I heard the NXT kit will be easier to work with (GUI interface, drag and drop modules) but will still have the ability to get very deep and involved (writing out your control code line by line).
Plus, if you find you don't like it that much it is easier to re-sell than other kits, but who would want to?  You can still just play with legos!

I've used the older kit and had a blast with it.  It really is a great kit to work with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.