GideonTech.com Forums

• June 24, 2019, 02:22:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PIC Controlled Mechamo Centipede  (Read 1828 times)

Phil

• Senior Modder
PIC Controlled Mechamo Centipede
« on: July 09, 2006, 10:45:29 PM »

So, I've been playing around with PICs and I put together a new control board for my mechamo gakken centipede.  I documented it well last night and threw it up on flickr, and this past afternoon it got picked up by the Make blog (wooo).

The system is two PIC16F628's with wireless serial communications and the transmitter side controlled by a keyglove.  Pictures, more info, and schematics are on the mesh.eecs.umich.edu link below.

http://mesh.eecs.umich.edu/wiki/index.php/PIC_Robot_Centipede

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/07/robot_centipede.html

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
Re: PIC Controlled Mechamo Centipede
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 08:38:18 AM »

Yeah, I saw this. Nice work. The robot itself, however, is controlled by RF or some other signal not via the wrouter right? This project inspires me to learn how to program PIC, so I wonder if you can get one to interpret ethernet signals..
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

Phil

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 08:46:22 PM »

trials:
Thanks!

Yeah, the motor control is completely independent of the router.  The WRT54G actually has a serial header inside that could send signals to the PIC and control movement(it's 3.3V though so you'd need some sort of voltage conversion).  This would be a lot easier than implementing TCP/IP on an inexpensive PIC (I think it's a peripheral option on some of the pricier models in the 18 series though).  I decided to go with a seperate serial radio to keep this serial port open for a GPS in the future.

Also, the WRT54G has a GPIO control program that controls a bunch of logic outputs around the router (some pins on the board as well as LED's).  This could be used to talk to the PIC or prehaps drive the H-Bridge directly. ( I didn't do this because that would defeat the entire purpose of playing with PICs)

Both of the above would need to be controlled by some kind of simple TCP/IP server on the WRT talking to a client on your computer sending motion/control commands (this would be easy to do in perl or ruby for the client.  You'd probably have to go with C for the router server though).

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 09:43:13 PM »

I have an idea which was nearly identical to the project you just completed. Problem is, I don't have the know-how of integrated chip circuit design, so my robot was to consist of NPN3904 transistors as well as higher powered versions of the same type, with possible voltage regulators to interface with a parallel port (simplest of all for controlling switches from a computer I figure). I already had a Java program written which could control which pins were on/off. I need to figure out that program EAGLE to design a proper circuit board.
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:06:32 AM »

If your wanting one that you have a little more control over the legs and get a more realalistic movement. you could look at these

http://www.lynxmotion.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=69

I am using there SES for the spider Legs (and my Biped robot I am working on).
Now live in the Twin cities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 3.285 seconds with 19 queries.