GideonTech.com Forums

• August 24, 2019, 02:55:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CanaKit radio transmitter inductor help  (Read 2486 times)

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
CanaKit radio transmitter inductor help
« on: July 08, 2006, 11:04:45 PM »

I have the UK111 model from CanaKit, which is a voice transmitting circuit http://www.canakit.net/Default.asp?Contents=/Include/Template/MenuCat.asp&Main=http://www.canakit.net/Contents/Items/CK105.asp. I have swapped out the mic for stereo audio in so I can broadcast my music in the house.
There is an inductor on the  board that has a ferrite core inside used to adjust the broadcasting frequency. Is there a permanent inductor I could use to permanently broadcast on a frequency, like 88.1 Mhz? The copper coil has become mangled and the core chipped so I cannot tune the transmitter very well.
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Re: CanaKit radio transmitter inductor help
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 01:39:10 AM »

You could buy a fixed inductor, but the inductance isn't going to be exact.  Try looking for any numbers on the inductor that would indicate its value.  Otherwise, you could attempt to manually calculate the value or you could just have somebody desolder it and use an inductance meter to check it.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 07:56:58 PM »

I've seen some more professionally built variable inductors, which allows a precise adjustment of the inductance. I don't know what kinds are available or what would be compatible with the coil the kit came with.
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 07:54:20 PM »

Project Completed.

After CanaKit generously donated a new inductor/ferrite core part, I swapped it out and the transmitter works again. Turns out the broadcasting frequency is shifted due to even the smallest movement of battery and antenna wire in the casing. Of course, hot glue and white out along with stiff battery leads solved that.
I used the casing of an old RC car antenna, and luckily enough, its circuit board was the same dimensions as my transmitter.
Range so far not tested; About a two-house radius when it was in my concrete and heavily-walled basement at 1.5 volts. I can supply it with up to 6 volts.

Here's the innards:

And the final product (antenna not at full extension) accompanied by the Zen Micro:
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

trials_modder

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 06:41:42 PM »

Ok, here's a slight issue. The broadcasting frequency which I thought was permanently set appears to not be, even though all the wires, inductor and any other possibly moving part are glued and sealed inside the case. I originally tuned it to 88.3 Mhz. Now, it seems to like broadcasting at 88.9. Maybe the temperature? Could it cause that much fluctuation?
LOUD ANGRY NOISES

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:40:32 PM »

It could, yes.  Keep in mind that the circuit you have right now is quite simple.  A stable FM transmitter is going to be much much more complicated.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 19 queries.