GideonTech.com Forums

• December 09, 2019, 10:25:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WRT54G problems  (Read 4047 times)

YucA

• Elite Modder
WRT54G problems
« on: June 26, 2006, 11:06:44 AM »

ive had my wrt54g for a while without any major problems, until now...

its been running with the alchemy firmware since i bought it.  Just recently, i have been getting this problem where my connection just dies, and my network adapter specifies "limited or no connectivity".  If i "repair" the network adapter, it USUALLY resolves the problem, and im able to connect again.  This is on a wired connection from the router to the computer.  I also get this problem in my wireless connections, but it doesnt seem to be at the same times...

I have updated my network adapter drivers, and have everything in the router setup pretty well.  I do have dhcpd running... and xmit power rating is only at 38 for the wireless, so i doubt its overheating.  I also relocated the router to keep it a bit cooler (i had the router on top of my modem before).

i dont think this has anything to do with my modem because i dont have reboot it or unplug it.  I also dont think it has anything to do with my computer, because it runs fine when i repair it.  It seems as though the router just dies or  :-?????

if anyone has any ideas or ways i can further pinpoint my problem, it'll be greatly appreciated.  it has me stumped, and is getting annoying.  Could it be problems with the dhcpd??
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 11:11:04 AM by YucA »

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
Re: WRT54G problems
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 12:02:55 PM »

1st I would look for a new version of the firmware (just incase it is a bug in that).

also you have had that for about 1-2 year (s) right Yuca.

at 1st I was going to say replace the wire or try and see if if that port is going out by moving your wired connection, but your having this will your wireless as well.

check you DHCP logs on the router and see if your pulling near the end of the list of IP's or if your with in the 1st few. If at the end (bottom) then you need to clean that out and have everyone pull from the top of the list.

is it failing at the end of the lease time on DHCP its a problem with renewing the lease.
Now live in the Twin cities.

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 12:24:30 PM »

Ok, some more details.  in my first thread, i stated that the disconnects with my wired and wireless are randomly different...  That actually doest seem to be the case.  My connection just died again and my dads wireless died at the same time...

There arent any updates to the firmware, and ed along with others run it with no problems.

I have to check my dhcp logs.  I dont even think i have logs enabled so that might help.

you da man dave!

***edit***
i enabled the logs, so we'll see what up.  Also, what exactly do you mean about pulling the IP's near the end??  In the dhcpd i Set specific IP's for each mac address in the network, so the ip's should be what i specified right??

Another thing, i am using no "security" settings for wireless, only MAC filtering...

ALSO.... i was checking all of my settings, and i had the DHCP server enabled, along with the DHCPD.  should i disable the server and just run the demon?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:11:34 PM by YucA »

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 02:08:30 PM »

Ok, some more details.  in my first thread, i stated that the disconnects with my wired and wireless are randomly different...  That actually doest seem to be the case.  My connection just died again and my dads wireless died at the same time...

There arent any updates to the firmware, and ed along with others run it with no problems.

I have to check my dhcp logs.  I dont even think i have logs enabled so that might help.

you da man dave!

***edit***
i enabled the logs, so we'll see what up.  Also, what exactly do you mean about pulling the IP's near the end??  In the dhcpd i Set specific IP's for each mac address in the network, so the ip's should be what i specified right??

Another thing, i am using no "security" settings for wireless, only MAC filtering...

ALSO.... i was checking all of my settings, and i had the DHCP server enabled, along with the DHCPD.  should i disable the server and just run the demon?

So have static IP's for each of the systems but being assigned through the DHCP so you should get the same IP address all of the time (that is what I am hearing).

I knew you ran the same things as others on the forums, Since I am not using that with my wireless. I have not watched it.

Pulling at the end is for those that tend to set DHCP up with a range of ips and doesnt force the same one on the machine over and over again. I seen some not release the ip address and go down the list until your renewing and it says all of the ip's a taken.

example: you start with 192.168.5.100
2nd go my and your on 192.168.5.102
at the end of 50 days you are at the end of the list 192.168.5.150 and it drops you because there is not one that is open to roll down to.

big questions are really is this happening randomly through out the day and even (if users are idle)? (Guessing Yes)
any errors in the logs (you might see those the next time it happens)
What is the time on keeping / renew of the DHCP lease? (1 hour - 7 days tend to be normal for people)

server vs demon.. You will have one to get your IP address from your modem and the other might be serving your PC's conections depends on what menu option it is at.
Now live in the Twin cities.

YucA

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 08:51:35 PM »

i dont get it.  now its been ok for the past two days.  Logs arent really showing anything either.  Dont think it matters, but i have the client lease time at 1440 minutes which is 24hrs... :-?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 08:53:09 PM by YucA »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 19 queries.