GideonTech.com Forums

• November 17, 2019, 03:05:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Wind Tunnel  (Read 2063 times)

Fanny J. Crosby

• Senior Modder
Wind Tunnel
« on: June 07, 2002, 11:26:00 PM »

Just an idea... so bear with me

A wind tunnel at the AEDC (Wind Tunnel site in Tennessee) can achieve speeds of Mach7. The way they do this is by forcing a tube of air nearly 40" radius into an area of about 4 inches. Now, of course, you won't make it such a large scale, but if you use 2 120mm fans pushing 130+cfm through a tube (one on each side of the heatsink pushing the same way), then have it forced through the area of the heatsink, you get a lot faster air (same cfm, but faster). The only problem I can think of is that with this setup, is that the air isnt being pushed directly at the heatsink, head-on, but across it.

This possible?

Fenix_Fiur

• Senior Modder
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2002, 11:41:00 PM »

might not be a bad idea if you have one of those zalman flower HSF's, but other than that, i dont think it'd do to great...but im no expert by any means...
suck it trebek.

banshee

• GT Fanatic
    • http://bobdole.elitehunters.com
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2002, 11:33:00 AM »

I don't think that'd be such a good idea, sure the air will move faster but would you want it to?  If the air moves too fast what heat will it pick up?

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2002, 11:41:00 AM »

If the wind won't pass throught the HS, but the HS is adjacent to the wind path, the air from the HS will be forced into the wind.  That's what happens in a car window slightly opened.  As you drive fast, the wind goes past your car and does not go into the window, but the air inside is forced to move out and along the wind, which gives you the feeling of moving air.  Another analogy would be the physics behind an atomiser.  Air is pushed out horizontally by the pump, and the liquid (or whatever) is forced out vertically in the tube, and eventually along the wind's direction.
So the wind won't be directly blown on the HS but the warm air from it would be forced into the wind.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

brutal

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.brutal.tk
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2002, 12:11:00 PM »

there is a basic problem with your idea and that is that axial fans dont provide enough static pressure to do that. And if you put that kind of air pressure on a flat surface you will get a nasty vortex.

There is a couple of exceptions to this.  If you can find one of those heatsinks that the fans mount on the side, you could use a large fan like you were saying and use a funnel.  Remember that fans move most of the air at the fan tips so you can move the air from the outside to the inside.
if you built a setup to do that and had that accelerated air, all going 1 direction smoothly across the heatsink  and then had it exhaust out the back of the case it should work very well.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
    • x24
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2002, 12:58:00 PM »

Hey Brut, what about those blowers, just like those on a Silverado?  Would they be a good alternative?

brutal

• Elite Modder
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 01:21:00 PM »

x24 those fans have higher static pressure but they sacrifice CFM. I dont know why that is, it just seems that way or they are super loud and higher cfm.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
    • x24
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 01:26:00 PM »

super loud?  I thought they were much quieter since they used them on the Silverado and sold them as a quiet power cooler.

GrendelPrime

• Senior Modder
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2002, 04:11:00 PM »

If you really must have the screaming wail of rushing air, you might want to look into http://www.arizonavortex.com/vortextubes.htm">Vortex Tubes, which split compressed air into two streams, one hot, one cold.

brutal

• Elite Modder
Wind Tunnel
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2002, 12:59:00 PM »

x24, lemme restate for you.  they are higher static pressure and lower cfm compared to axial fans. to have a similar cfm rating as an axial fan they become very very loud.

for instance. the larger panaflo 76mm blower fan is 10.8cfm at 36db/a.  

delta has a 75mm blower that is 11.30 cfm at 38db/a.

do you sense a trend?

if not

delta makes a 120mm blower that is 39.55cfm at 56.5db/a.

and now since we are talking about delta
delta axial 120x25.4 (1 inch thick) is 113.11 cfm at 46.5db/a
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.