GideonTech.com Forums

• December 15, 2019, 06:34:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wiring up a 22pin power supply w/o a MB  (Read 2260 times)

cannabisfarmer

• Case Mod Weenie
wiring up a 22pin power supply w/o a MB
« on: May 28, 2006, 05:37:39 PM »

ive got a 22 pin p4 power supply that i need to make it switchable with out a motherboard.  I have seen other sites that say  jump a green wire pin to a black one, that is simple enough but i do not have a green wire whatsoever, and the only single colored wires i have are purple, grey, yellow, orange and blue, ive tried to jump all of these a  black wire with no success this is pretty frustrating i need some help. thanks

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
Re: wiring up a 22pin power supply w/o a MB
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:35:35 PM »

I am pretty sure you killed the power supply when you shorted out each of it's rails to the ground.
My sig goes here

pinkpanther

• Elite Modder
    • http://community.wvu.edu/~njh005
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »

Aside from you probably have killed it, where did you get one of the 22 pin variety?  I thought they were only 20 and 24.  I'm going to assume it's 20 pin since you describe it as being a P4 (a seperate 6 pin lead if I remember correctly for the higher voltage requirements of the early P4s)  If the power supply has an internal fan, you check to see if it still works by shorting the 14 pin to ground.  This should cause the supply to switch on and hopefully turn its fan on.  You may also short pin 8 to ground if you wish to sustain the PSU I believe.  It's been a long time since I've done stuff like that, and I'm referencing the wiring diagram here.

You can also buy generic testers from places like www.newegg.com and www.directron.com.  I think I've also seen them at www.digikey.com and www.jameco.com.  I'm sure others have them as well. 

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 07:30:07 PM »

If it truly is a 22 pin PSU, then its some sort of proprietary or otherwise nonstandard PSU.  That said, if there was any flow when you directly grounded all the rails, then you almost certainly fried the thing anyway.  Keep in mind, that even a standard PSU needs a load placed on it before firing it up.  Usually a fan will do, but directly grounding it out and then trying to fire it up is a pretty foolish thing to do. 

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 07:13:29 AM »

Most PSUs nowadays have built-in self-resetting overcurrent protection devices.  Your PSU should be fine.  The lack of a green wire is weird though.  What kind of computer did you pull it out of?
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:09:13 PM »

Most PSUs nowadays have built-in self-resetting overcurrent protection devices.  Your PSU should be fine.

I would have to agree.  I've shorted both the 12v and 5v rails (on accident) and the psu immediately shut off on me.  Switching it off and back on has always worked for me.  The lack of a green wire also has me puzzled.  If you can find out what brand of psu it is, do a google search and see what you come up with.  Good luck!
Today, the choice is mine.

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 07:38:55 PM »

I would have to disagree.  22 pins and no green wire lead me to believe that this is a proprietary power supply of some sort.  Since these things are usually made as cheaply as possible and Dell/Compaq/Whoever would like desperately to sell you another crap PSU, it wouldn't shock me (pun intended) to learn the failsafe was some sort of fuse or some other form of self destruct.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.