GideonTech.com Forums

• November 18, 2018, 01:18:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 monitors using built in video + pci video  (Read 3922 times)

Kumi

• Senior Modder
  • Mini trucking fanatic
    • http://flatvidz.tripod.com
2 monitors using built in video + pci video
« on: April 02, 2006, 02:16:27 AM »

i've got a old pci video card that if i remember correctly can handle about 800x600 at 256 colors. i'd like to hook it up in my computer and run a monitor off it. the problem is i have built in video and i want that to be my main video card. i have windows 98SE and a sh*tty compaq motherboard. is it possible to hook up the second monitor? and can i still run 1024x768 and 16bit true color on this monitor,while running the other resolution on the crappy card?

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
Re: 2 monitors using built in video + pci video
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 05:41:33 PM »

yes, its perfectly possible.  just plug it in and install drivers and then you should be good to go. i dont remember win 98 specifically because i never did it with that OS, but in 2000 you just say extend my desktop onto this other monitor and apply and then it works

Aglar

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:27:21 AM »

Yeah, I've done this before, and with different resolutions because of two different sized monitors.

Basically you set one as your primary display, which is the one that games, etc will come up on. In your case this would be your onboard video. Then as urgannagru said, you would extend your desktop onto the second monitor.

Kumi

• Senior Modder
  • Mini trucking fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:50:39 AM »

would i do that in the bios? i put in the video card before and it automaticly became the default. how would i set the resolution for the pci video card? (800x600 max since it's crap) while keeping 1024x768 on this one.

Aglar

• Elite Modder
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:56:00 AM »

You do nothing in the BIOS.

In Windows you can change the primary monitor in Display Properties. This is also where you would set the resolution.

Kumi

• Senior Modder
  • Mini trucking fanatic
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 03:48:30 AM »

i already got it set up. i couldn't wait on a reply so i did like i normally do and just start fiddling around  :P
my computers crap..with 2 monitors now....but wait,i have good news! i just found a 2ghz compatable MB for $36  :lol: (i really did. and a $140 2ghz processor and $21 dual video card. once i get some $ i'll be in heaven!)

edit: my crap video card can handle true color (24 bit) at a 1024x768 resolution. it wouldn't before cause it was in a old pentium 1 system with a OLD monitor that couldn't handle it. (and to think....i thought this video card was the worst ever)

edit again:

now i just need to vinyl dye both of them black,aswell as my keyboard and i'm good to go (besides a new desk obviously)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:10:01 PM by Kumi »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.