GideonTech.com Forums

• December 15, 2019, 06:35:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSU high-pitched squeal?  (Read 1155 times)

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
PSU high-pitched squeal?
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:42:15 AM »

So I'm short on PSUs.  I go down to the local scrapyard and grab a partially-stripped Celeron box (no CPU or hard drive) for $2.  I'm pleased to note the PSU is an L&C DR-A350ATX.  Familiar with the 300-watt version, I can say it's substandard but at least not prone to horrible destructive death. (I had one in an XP2000+ machine for years, and it ran fine, as long as you downclocked to 833MHz to reduce the power consumption).  And if I decide to skip the Duron kit and put in instead the Celeron board, I'm even less worried (the machine is there for watching TV and playing Ogg Vorbis files; not really CPU-intensive, so the Celery is probably fine.

So before unleashing it on good hardware, I pop my old Celeron 533 and 16Mb of PC66 in the supplied mobo and turn the key.  It produces an annoying high-pitched whine, and the PSU's fan is dead.  I replace the PSU fan (it was quite stiff) and try again; it seems to boot (the +12 line flops around a lot, but otherwhise the voltages look okay), but there's still a whine.  It's not fan noise.  Removing the network card left in, the CPU fan (a Celeron 533 doesn't need an all copper cooler PLUS fan designed for an Athlon 1400), and disconnecting the drives does no good.

The PSU is IMO the likely culprit-- is there a likely 10 cent fix?

wonko

• Elite Modder
  • April 4, 2009
Re: PSU high-pitched squeal?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:35:31 PM »

Well, taking it outside and throwing it as far as you can is free.  You try that?  :lol:
Today, the choice is mine.

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »

No, but you can probably get a cheap ATX PSU for <$20 to replace it.  It doesn't sound like quality is your #1 priority on this machine so I think a $20 one would be fine.

Here, I found ya one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817182001
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 07:05:23 PM by blafrisch »
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:09:33 PM »

Not prone to destruction eh? Friend of mine had an L&C 350W, fan died, and it caught fire.
My sig goes here
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 19 queries.