GideonTech.com Forums

• November 12, 2019, 04:16:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circuit for linear actuator  (Read 1324 times)

Ottoman

• Senior Modder
Circuit for linear actuator
« on: February 27, 2006, 10:52:35 AM »

Hey everyone, long time no chat!

I have started on a new project and need some help with wiring up a component I want to use.  It is a 12 VDC linear actuator.  In case you do no know what I am talking about, take a look here.  The one I will be using is the Elektrac 1, model # S12-17A8-02.  So you do not have to look up its specs, I shall list the important ones below:

12 VDC
no load - .9A
full load - 5A
Internal limit switches shutoff unit on either end of stroke

The actuator has only 2 wires, reversing the current between them reverses direction the actuator moves.

What I need to assemble is a way to push a momentary button (like an atx power button) and have the actuator start its extend stroke, and continue to the end of the stroke shutting itself off with its internal limit switches.  Pushing the button again will reverse the current, causing the actuator to retract and shut itself off again when the stroke is complete.

I have been reading over how to create an H-Bridge to accomplish just this, but the problem I am running into is the actuator will be pulling, on average, 3-5A.  Will a circuit such as the H-Bridge work for this actuator, or will I need to find something else?  Are there pre-made circuits I can purchase?

Also, if the above circuit works for this actuator, would I be able to run it off my computer's power supply, or will I need a dedicated PS to run it?  I will be purchasing a larger PS for my new computer, which runs 19A on the +12V rail.  I will probably run dual video cards in the future and want to leave head room for that.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Re: Circuit for linear actuator
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:00:37 PM »

A very simple solution to your problem that slightly tweaks your selection of switches would be to get an alt-action DPDT switch rated for 5 amps.  Press it once, and the actuator is connected with one polarity, press it again, and the actuator is connected with the opposite polarity.  I believe something like part number 51-418 from Hosfelt would fit the bill nicely.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

Ottoman

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 06:14:30 PM »

With that switch, wouldn't I need to press it once to close the circuit, then again to open it?  If that is the case, it will not fit my needs.  I want to press a button to activate the actuator, then have it turn itself off at the end of its stroke.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 07:50:16 PM »

In your OP, you stated that the actuator had internal limit switches to stop the plunger at the end of the stroke.  With an alt-action switch, you should be able to start it going in one direction, have the limit switch shut it off, reverse the polarity with the switch, and have the other limit switch shut it off at the other end of the stroke.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

Ottoman

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 08:38:54 PM »

Alright, I will give it a go when the actuator arrives and let you know how it works.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 19 queries.