GideonTech.com Forums

• December 15, 2019, 06:32:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need some Isp help  (Read 3995 times)

kennguy

• GT Fanatic
Need some Isp help
« on: December 13, 2005, 06:59:59 PM »

I just recently moved in a house (from my 10 year journey of apartments). My present ISP (dsl) and I have determined that I am a little too far from the central office to get the download speeds I was use to at my old address. So I am weighing out my options, so I need some input from you guys. Do I go back with Rogers cable internet( I had a really bad experience with them last time), explore the newer "fixed wireless" connection perhaps through Look Commications, or stick it out with my present dsl provider. My top download speed (newsgroups) is now about 240k, I was getting 300-335k  at my old address. I just would like to get a decent connection here. What isp's has everyone here tried ?? (other then dsl of course).

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Re: Need some Isp help
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 07:31:48 PM »

It's almost worthless to ask about ISP options here; I'd suggest more a local-oriented forum, as your neighbourhood is the dominant factor for service availability and quality (I think at least in the US, many broadband ISPs have different service offerings for different regions)

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 07:58:02 PM »

Just get cable.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

MegamanEXE

• Senior Modder
    • Cross Fusion
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:56:49 PM »

You could always "warsit" your local wireless networks.
Whempys LAN Parties Administrator

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 10:29:41 PM »

You could always "warsit" your local wireless networks.

That sounds like a terrible idea... steal a connection from a fixed location over and over again?
You trying to get him arrested?

MegamanEXE

• Senior Modder
    • Cross Fusion
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 10:32:29 PM »

Canada..right...different laws...my bad. Using someone else's open web connection isnt illegal in the US.
Whempys LAN Parties Administrator

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 11:57:34 PM »

Theres no law saying its illegal in Canada either, as far as I know.

Anyways, I'm assuming you got DSL from Sympatico, in which case 240KBps isnt too bad, Rogers would definitely be faster, but their service isnt as good, and you can't run servers with their service.  Sympatico lets you run servers, which is good. (just not mail servers  :x

Although, then again, I almost switched to rogers after the horrible tech support I got from sympatico.  Me and 5 of my friends living in the same area were getting disconnected every ~10 minutes, at which point the internet would go out for a second, up to 4 hours.  This was going on for 3 weeks and I spent probably 20 hours on the phone with those idiots telling them it was their problem.  I had to go through the whole thing with disconnecting routers, turning sh*t on and off for 30 minutes every time i called them just so I could get them to consider the possibility that it was not on my end.  You'd think me getting 4 other people to call them at the same time and say the same thing would do it, but no.  3 weeks and 20 hours of my time later, they finally called me back and said they fixed the problem on THEIR end.  VERY ANNOYING!  If that ever happens to you, switch.  I would have but I run servers.

So in conclusion, Rogers would probably be a better choice, assuming you dont run servers and download more than 60GB a month.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.