GideonTech.com Forums

• December 14, 2019, 01:07:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Development In NSA Phone Taps  (Read 2565 times)

Indigo.inc

• Senior Modder
Interesting Development In NSA Phone Taps
« on: January 17, 2006, 05:39:01 PM »

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/106?ref=rss

The American Civil Liberties Union and the Center for Constitutional Rights filed lawsuits on Tuesday against the Bush Administration for conducting wiretaps of American citizens without judicial oversight.

The ACLU filed its lawsuit against the federal agency tasked with conducting surveillance, the National Security Agency (NSA), on behalf of three authors, two Islamic scholars, and three nonprofit groups that believe they have been or could be targeted by the wiretapping orders. The Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) filed its lawsuit on behalf of its staff, who fit the criteria of those that could be the focus of investigations, the group said in a statement.

I'm not sure that's the best way to handle the situation, especially this key part:
that believe they have been or could be targeted by the wiretapping orders

Seems a little shaky to hold up in court, but we'll see how it develops.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
Re: Interesting Development In NSA Phone Taps
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 06:50:10 PM »

to me it sounds about as shaky as the riaa and mpaa policing filesharing software themselves, in particular the filing of john/jane doe lawsuits. shouldn't that be something the police do?

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 02:26:34 PM »

If you haven't noticed the RIAA and MPAA are rather clueless organizations in general.  Their lawsuits have all been for rather significant plea deals or judgements.  By the time the lawyers get paid, they lost a lot more money than they ever could have hoped to make.  Not that it makes any difference anyway.  Statistically speaking it would take the RIAA until sometime in 3021 to sue all the current filesharers even if they filed 1000 lawsuits per day.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 02:38:13 PM »

thats just my point, its a shaky lawsuit. most people settle becuase they couldn't afford the legal representation fees. would these lawsuits ever actually hold up in court? i doubt it but they might.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

Indigo.inc

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 02:52:09 PM »

So let me see if I understand what you're saying Piyirio.

The ACLU's case is as weak as the cases the MPAA and RIAA brought against individuals, which you do not believe would have held up in court, but people settled out of court because they were scared and couldn't afford an attorney?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 20 queries.