GideonTech.com Forums

• July 20, 2019, 03:05:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voltage stepper  (Read 1450 times)

Excess3

• Senior Modder
Voltage stepper
« on: November 16, 2005, 12:04:34 AM »

OK, I have a Dell Inspiron 9100.  The thing is a friggin beast.  It uses a 150w power supply.  It has a battery life of about an hour and 30 minutes.
Unfortunately this isnt' very handy for DVDs and such on roadtrips.  Now, I can get an inverter that will let my run the laptop, but technically my cigarette lighter is only rated for 130w, meaning I would have to run a line straight to the battery, plus I see no reason to go from DC to AC back to DC.  Thats just inefficient.
So, my thought is just get a voltage stepper to up the 12V DC to the 19.5V that my powerbrick normaly outputs.  The only problem is I am having trouble finding one that will support the 7.7A rating that my powerbrick currently produces.
So if you guys could help me find a solution to step up my 12V DC rated at 13 amps from the cigarrete lighter to 19.9V DC at 7.7 amps I would appreciate it.
Also to consider is conditioning, since this will be the main power supply for the laptop while in the carthe power will probably need to be cleaned up a bit.

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
Re: Voltage stepper
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 05:13:12 AM »

There is no auto adapter made by either dell or the aftermarket adapter manufacturers (Kensington etc) which supports 150w, so you're going to have to do a custom job and most likely wire it direct to the battery (if the cigarette lighter is rated for 130w, how do you plan to get 12V DC at 13 amps or 154w from it?)

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 10:20:10 AM »

And inverters aren't as inefficient as you probably think.

Excess3

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 10:56:15 AM »

Thats wher I was kind of confused too bale, the "documentation" claims 130W limit for the cigarrette lighter, but the fuse is 13 amps, and after popping the fuse I have noe found any vehicle critical components (lights or anything) on the same circuit, so maybe that 130W limit is just BS, or maybe it was listed due the the wiring used, I don't know.
I have found 19V steppers that are 5A, but not 7.  Do you guys think the laptop actually pulls 7 or is that just a nice buffer designed into it?

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 03:00:02 PM »

It probably pulls close to that at startup, there's likely an inrush current as the caps in the PSU charge up. When running, probably a lot less.

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 03:41:50 PM »

It probably pulls close to that at startup, there's likely an inrush current as the caps in the PSU charge up. When running, probably a lot less.

I agree with the above but also note that HDD also have a higher Draw of current during start up.

another example is that a 3.5 HDD takes aprox 2 A during spin up. Once its running it drops to 1.5 or as low as 1.2 amps.

Now live in the Twin cities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 20 queries.