GideonTech.com Forums

• October 21, 2019, 06:31:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Switch From Batts to 110V without Shutingdown?  (Read 2965 times)

BillyBob

• Senior Modder
    • LANOHIO
How to Switch From Batts to 110V without Shutingdown?
« on: October 13, 2005, 01:21:43 PM »

I'm looking at Using a VOOM Pc (made for your car) In my Currrent Mod (R2Server) Here's a Pic of the VOOM

I want to run it on an Internal 12V Batt when I'm driveing R2 Around, But when I park him I want to hook up 110VAC to him, so that I can Recharge the Batts and Run the PC For Long periods of Time (LAN PArties!).

I know I can get a 110VAC to 12VDC Power Pack. What I don't know is what kind of Curcuit I'm going to need to use to:
1, Enable power from power pack to Run the PC
2, Disable 12V Batt power (so the charging curcuit can charge it up)
3, Do all the Above with out the pc shutting down (or blowning up!)

So, I think this is kinda what I need but not sure how to do it

I Can built just about any circuit if I have a Drawing, So building one is not an issue. But I'll also look at buying one if someone knows what I need to look For.

Thanks,
Billybob
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:48:06 PM by BillyBob »
JusAzU tinkte Inet issafe

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
Re: How to Switch From Batts to 110V without Shutingdown?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:34:50 PM »

Hey BillyBob, great work on the R2, by the way.

You want the batteries to charge, and the peecee to run while plugged in? Do I have that right?

Have you specified the batteries yet?

BillyBob

• Senior Modder
    • LANOHIO
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 01:41:29 PM »

Hey BillyBob, great work on the R2, by the way.

You want the batteries to charge, and the peecee to run while plugged in? Do I have that right?

Have you specified the batteries yet?

That's What the plan is.

I'm looking at a 12V 7Ah (or higher) Batt. Though I may run a pair of batts in parrell so I get a longer run Time.
The last estamate that I have is that there will be about a 66W Load on it (I think that's really about10-15Watts high but I'd rather plan bigger then come up short!)

To help fill the blank spots in, R2 will have a common 110V bus to feed the Batt Chargers (there are separate Batts for the motors...2Each motor, 4 in total to Give me the 24Vea I need to run them) then The 12V batt Just for the PC (ok there maybe a light ot 2 in there as well).

What you got in mind?

Billybob
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:51:15 PM by BillyBob »

linear

• Senior Modder
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 01:48:45 PM »

I am a firm believer in KISS.

So I had a gander at the manual for that PSU. I think we may be in luck. Since that critter was designed to work in the hostile vehicle power environment, it has some ability to survive disturbances in the supply.

I am not hearing you ask how to charge the batteries, so I'm refraining form weighing in on that topic. However, I'm just about convinced from reading the manual that a simple break-before-make toggle should work to cut power over. I think that using a separate toggle for the charge circuitry is sensible.

I don't see how I can make it any simpler than a pair of SPDT switches, and I think that will work. Page 3 of that manual details (sort of) some of the protections that PSU offers. It's not 100% clear that my simplistic scheme will work, but you could probably ask the manufacturer.

BillyBob

• Senior Modder
    • LANOHIO
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 02:27:40 PM »

I woundered if that would work. I fired off an E-mail the Minibox asking if that would work or if they had a better solution, I'll let you know what I hear back.

As for charging the batts...I'm not sure what to do other then pick up a small charger for it. The 24V batts have a little wall wart that came with them that stop charging when the batts are full, and the Chraging plan for them was one switch to disconnect the Batts from the Motor and another switch to start the charging.

Thanks for the Help!

Billybob

Im_gumby

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 11:52:16 AM »

While this isn't the most elegant solution, it would be somewhat easier.

Buy a battery backup system (APC makes good ones) and 12V DC to 110V AC converter that you plug the battery backup into your car with.  Connect the computer to the battery backup unit.
This will use the power cut-over circuts of the backup and will provide batteries all together in one simple unit, but would add another thing to mount in your car somewhere.

BillyBob

• Senior Modder
    • LANOHIO
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 12:32:44 AM »

Gumby,

Ummmm...It's going into MY case mod R2Server. The problem with the UPS Idea (I looked into it before posting this)
Is it's weight, we use APC 1500 UPS's @ work they run about 37Lbs, and run about 15 with a standard P4 Desktop.
The 12V 7AH Batt and A VOOm run 2-3 Hours, and the Batt weighs less then 7Lbs..... THat's why I'm trying to come up with a way to switch from one 12V soruce to the other.

Linear,

What do you think about this curcuit?

http://caddish.ath.cx/TBCS/battery-ac-charger.gif

It would keep the wrong switch from being fliped and over loading the power pack.

Thanks for the help!!
Billybob

linear

• Senior Modder
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 09:12:20 AM »

If I'm reading that diagram correctly, it seems to be an attempt to do the switching you're asking for. It doesn't seem to be a battery charger, despite the filename.

I see a downside to trying to simultaneously switch. The main problem isthat there's no way for the circuit to "kow" the state of the battery before it switches to it.

I typed up a lengthy explanation and it occurred to me that even though you didn't explicitly say it in the first post, you are probably expecting the batteries to charge when you're connected to mains. Is that the case? It sort of determines how many/what type of switches are needed.

BillyBob

• Senior Modder
    • LANOHIO
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 09:22:29 PM »

When the mains are connected the batteries will be charging, but there will be a seperate charging curcuit. So the Relay will disconnect the batts from the CPU and connect them to the charge at the same time switching the CPU to the 12V from the AC power pack. Does this make sense?

Billybob

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 09:39:25 PM »

Couldnt this be accomplished by using a cheap ups from bestbuy? you can get one for 39.00 kill the buzzer in it,put a cig adapter in it so you could run the ups from the 12v in a vehicle and 120v in a home/building or run from the batts alone.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 18 queries.