GideonTech.com Forums

April 20, 2014, 04:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum members, click here to add yourself to the Gideontech Map!

Home   Help Search Login Register  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emachines problem bad power supply/motherboard  (Read 6971 times)
deviant2
GT Fanatic

« on: October 01, 2005, 12:04:33 AM »

Hi im a member of these forums and am very much into overclocking in the process of starting a new build. My parents emachines model#T2542 just shut off today and wouldnt come back on so i took it apart and figured it was the power supply so i had an extra one lying around tryed that still didnt work so i think when the power supply went out it fryed the motherboard. So my question is can i buy a new motherboard that fits it i think its a mini atx motherboard and a socket 478 celeron compatible and just reinstall windows and that will fix it.please help its a business computer.
BalefireX
Global Moderator
Elite Modder

http://pics.aran.ws

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 04:56:27 AM »

Gotta say my first thought is "call eMachines"

I don't know how painful their customer service experience is, but you've got nothing to lose but some time, and you may be able to get a replacement cheap or at least learn if there is any reason why you couldn't use any Mini-ITX board to replace the current one.

pinkpanther
Elite Modder

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 08:46:52 AM »

Aside from calling e-machines, www.newegg.com tends to have some of those off-the-wall parts.  Was the old power supply proprietary?  Because I've seen some old compaqs that had power supplies that looked like a standard ATX, but had the lines all switched around so you'd have to buy a replacement from them.  I'd check into the pin arrangement on the old power supply, and then if they are standard, any micro or mini ATX might fit.   

timid1
Elite Modder

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 12:39:09 PM »

Aside from calling e-machines, www.newegg.com tends to have some of those off-the-wall parts.  Was the old power supply proprietary?  Because I've seen some old compaqs that had power supplies that looked like a standard ATX, but had the lines all switched around so you'd have to buy a replacement from them.  I'd check into the pin arrangement on the old power supply, and then if they are standard, any micro or mini ATX might fit.   

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was working retail (three or four years ago), most of what I saw for COTS computers was proprietary.  Standard connector, but different pins.  Kind've hard to know what you're doing if you can't jumpstart the power supply and read each line with a multimeter, though. 

Pink's right.  Find out what the pinouts are.  Then jump the power supply; if it doesn't come on, your power supply is shot.  If it comes on, check your 12V and 5V lines to see that they are within spec.
PioneerCrazed
Case Mod Weenie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 07:00:01 PM »

n00b here, I just googled broken power supply on emachines and found this thread...

My T2385, seems like the power supply just died today. I go to turn it on and where there is normally the big green LED around the power button, just rapidly blinks orange... Does this happen to your folks computer original poster?

My main question is can I grab a regular off the shelf PS, or do I have to go through emachines?

Thanks, I know everyone probably despises emachines but it's actually been pretty good to me for the past 2.5 years. Of course I can't play games on it with the crappy on board graphics LOL
BalefireX
Global Moderator
Elite Modder

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 07:08:49 PM »

If you're getting any lights at all, the PSU is not out.  The PSU provides power to every part of the computer, with it broken, no lights will come on at all.  I don't know what a rapidly blinking orange LED means for an emachines motherboard, but they'll be able to tell you if you phone them up.

PioneerCrazed
Case Mod Weenie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 09:42:52 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

So power supplies either work or they don't work? Clear cut, black & white...
They can't just go half bad?

I'm new to the world of power supplies if you can't tell.  Confused
BalefireX
Global Moderator
Elite Modder

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 09:45:55 PM »

Power supplies can go partially, but it usually manifests itself as stability issues due to poor voltage regulation... your issue sounds more like a video card, processor, RAM, or motherboard issue, which is causing the the system not to boot.

PioneerCrazed
Case Mod Weenie

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:53:39 PM »

Well, that kinda sucks!  Thumbs Down

Is it possible for something like this to happen without showing any signs previously?

It never acted funny, never saw the BSOD, it has been working great; then BAM doesn't start. sigh...
BalefireX
Global Moderator
Elite Modder

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:32:42 PM »

Well thats why you should contact emachines, who will help you figure out which one of those parts is the one at fault (it's very very unlikely that they are all broken)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: