GideonTech.com Forums

• October 27, 2020, 07:44:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to wire a touch activated switch  (Read 5114 times)

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
Re: how to wire a touch activated switch
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2005, 07:55:36 AM »

@ freakshow--he said originally it was to control lights. So we can infer from that that it's needing to switch a load that looks like 12V @ a few hundred milliamps.

No no no...
If the history of this thread is anything to go by, he wants to use this switch for lighting -- stadium lighting.

deviant2

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2005, 02:26:40 PM »

ok im going to try and explain this as best as possible
What im doing:
As you can tell from the picture below which is a side view of the case i have marked what the materials are made up of so basically i want  a touch switch to turn on a pair of 4" blue cold cathode lights. So this is how i want it to work in real life when you touch the red symbol  shown on the picture below then that activates the blue cold cathode lights inside the case thus lighting up the acrylic area's inside of the symbol shown below.
What i need to know:
I need to know what to buy and how to wire it up. I know it cant be very complicated because i used to work for a cabinet shop and my boss made a china cabinet that had biult in lighting and he wired it so that you could just control the lights by touching the door hinge just like those touch lamps.

please let me know if i need to explain it better otherwise thank you for your time in helping me out. 

freakshow29

• Senior Modder
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 02:02:59 AM »

ohh...lol, my bad. i still think light sensor would be the cheapest way to go, although wiring it would probably be a lil outta ur range
**grumbles at my lack of creativity**

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 12:33:13 PM »

Just take a look at the data sheet.  A typical setup is shown on page two.  Strap options are elucidated on pages four and five (you'll probably want to set them to Low Gain and Toggle, respectively).  I suggest the QT113H variant, instead of the QT113 because the output is active-high instead of active-low.  These chips can only source 1mA, so you will have to hook up an output transistor if you want to drive your CCFLs.  A TIP122 ought to do the trick.  Connect the base of the transistor to pin two of the QT113 via a 10K resistor, the emitter of the transistor to ground, and the collector of the transistor to the negative lead of your CCFL inverter.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 12:57:47 PM »

Just take a look at the data sheet. A typical setup is shown on page two. Strap options are elucidated on pages four and five (you'll probably want to set them to Low Gain and Toggle, respectively). I suggest the QT113H variant, instead of the QT113 because the output is active-high instead of active-low. These chips can only source 1mA, so you will have to hook up an output transistor if you want to drive your CCFLs. A TIP122 ought to do the trick. Connect the base of the transistor to pin two of the QT113 via a 10K resistor, the emitter of the transistor to ground, and the collector of the transistor to the negative lead of your CCFL inverter.

hahaha - I understand that, but I can see how someone could scan that  paragraph and go "oh...my...god"

Take it one sentence at a time, go slow, everything you need is there.

deviant2

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 07:53:42 PM »

thank anyways guys ive received help in another forum in the end you guys made it way more complicated than it needed to be. Viridius was the only one that tryed to help but im just not on the level of electrical competence that everyone is. A little advice for helping out semi newbies in the future just basically saying "come on you'll get it" doesnt help and not inherently explaining what different terms mean in the context of the topic also complicates the matter. Im not trying to put anyone down because you guys have really helped me out with many other questions. But thanks anyway

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 05:17:16 AM »

There are three options in a situation like this:
1) Tell you exactly what to do, so you can do it with no understanding - basically do the project for you
2) Explain all of the theory to you in a way that you can understand - basically teach you electronics
3) Point you in the right direction and expect you to put in a little effort yourself

If linear and viridius had to do 1 or 2, (I pick on them as they're specifically electronics moderators) they'd never have time for their real jobs!  We have thousands of members here at Gideontech, and you can't expect them to do the projects for all those individuals who can't be bothered to learn or to teach a course to those who can.  The internet is a phenomenal resource and all the information you need is out there, much of it easy to find.  Yes, it would take effort on your part, but it's your project!

I see no indication of you putting any effort into your project, except to complain that people here haven't put in enough effort!

I'm glad that you've gotten a solution that you're happy with, but I think denigrating the efforts of those who tried to help you is awfully petty.

deviant2

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 02:00:53 PM »

well your certainly right on many points and im sorry if sounded like i put you guys down it wasnt meant that way it was meant more as constructive criticism because you guys do give great info.
You guys showed me how to wire up a vfd my vfd display in fact i even bought it from a member. Your right i shouldnt expect someone to do it for me and im not asking anybody to do it for me. But i dont know the resources and dont have the knowledge that you guys do about electronics.
 I know im fully capable of learning i just dont know enough yet to outright understand what something like viridius is saying.All i wanted was a simple and possibly cheap solution i guess i should have made that clear though before.
You guys do great work and i thank you for your time i guess i just suck at this though although im still going to try what i can OH! does anyone know anybody that has faraday switches for sale that are a decent price because ive found these to be the easiest solution.I THINK?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 02:31:04 PM »

Faraday switches?  You mean these?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 02:44:50 PM by viridius »
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

deviant2

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 08:40:51 PM »

yeah exactly i some how stumbled upon them searching google and there was a message board where some guy had a topic up about making touch switches for a dollhouse and a guy posted a reply  with that site. But yeah the only reason why i was asking if anyone had any for sale at a decent price was because i saw that site that you linked to and saw the $50.00 price tag and i thought that was a litlle more than i was willing to spend. But do you know anyone or have any connections viridius
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.