GideonTech.com Forums

• December 03, 2020, 09:39:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (EMI/RFI) shielding ?  (Read 2336 times)

Mercury

• Case Mod Weenie
(EMI/RFI) shielding ?
« on: September 05, 2001, 09:59:00 PM »

Ok, I am going to be getting one of those clear acrylic cases for my rig for modding purposes. It states that it does not come with ElectroMagnetic Interference/Radio Frequency Interference (EMI/RFI) shielding. How big of a deal is this? Also, is there some sort of wiring I can get to attach to the edges of the case or perhaps some sort of EMI/RFI sheilding transmitter that I can attach to my computer? Basically I am looking for any mod or add-on that can provide me with EMI/RFI sheilding.  If so where can I purchase one? Thanks for your help.

winterstick

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
    • http://winterstick.tk
(EMI/RFI) shielding ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2001, 11:49:00 PM »

well I don't know what the hell that means... but I don't think you need it for a case... adn if you do. but chicken wire around the case (not kidding) that shold stop the emf.

DougthaThug

• GT Fanatic
(EMI/RFI) shielding ?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2001, 02:51:00 PM »

or you could use copper mesh all the way around.  At my old job we had some setup around a really sensitive voltage sensor.  We used it to measure how much voltage potential across the membrane of a frog oocyte is needed to fire a neuron - err or something (at the time I was still an undergrad and washing glassware).  Anyways be sure to ground any kind of metal framework to really really really stop any kind of electromagnetic radiation.  It shouldn't cause much of a problem for your computer (maybe some errors everynow and again) but more likely you'll get funny tv reception or your neighbors'll complain about their terrible radio static.  some kind of FCC regulation blahblahblhaah.  I think they're might be coatings you can buy to block them too.  But I'd say some sort of metal surrounding it is your best bet.  Imagine an acrylic case surrounded by chain mail! w00t!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 32 queries.