GideonTech.com Forums

• December 06, 2019, 01:42:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to overclock a p1 even more?  (Read 2496 times)

Kumi

• Senior Modder
  • Mini trucking fanatic
    • http://flatvidz.tripod.com
how to overclock a p1 even more?
« on: September 30, 2005, 01:54:15 PM »

i know this may seem like a waste of time,bubut my friend gave me a computer a while back with a pentium 1.
the original speed as most of you know,is 120mhz. i played around with the switches on the board and got it to 133mhz. but i'm wondering how i could push it even higher. i've heard of processors being overclocked to more than 2 times their original speed. is it possible to do that to this processor? i'm aware i'd probaly need to add more fans even though it's only 120mhz or so more (if doubled)

currently the case has the heatsink+fan that came on the processor,plus the 120mm intake fan and the exaughst fan inside the power supply (might be 120mm,i'm not sure)  i've got some extra room for at least a 80mm exaughst fan in the other side of the case,although i'd like to go with a 120mm if there's enough room.

but back to the topic of overclocking.. what ways are there to possibly double the speed so i can crank out even more mhz from my overclock? also,there is only one set of switches on this board.

AlienBlood

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.battlestar.us
Re: how to overclock a p1 even more?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 06:25:19 PM »

what's the make/model of the motherboard?

Have you tried googling it?

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 06:55:26 PM »

i doubt you'll get much more if any out of it. those old boards were very limited in their fsb capability. i have a p1 90mhz that i could only get to 100mhz... still worthless. if you was a x2 overclock get a fcpga 300mhz celeron "a". i've had it up to 6xxmhz but ran it everyday for 2-3 years at 550mhz. my brother has been using it an additional 2-3 years. still chugging along. so much for overclocking reducing processor life. i mean, it may reduce it but i won't be using it in 10-20 years anyways.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 07:36:55 PM »

Possibilities:

-Socket A heatsink-fans.  I replaced the decent Socket 7 HS I had on my K6-233 (previous peak: 262-- 3.5x75) and it hit 290 (3x83).  I could have tried higher but the board maxed out there.

-A scrap Super 7 board.  Bump the FSB to 100.  Some boards had settings for 112 or 124, but these often didn't work.

A major issue is multipliers... Did all Pentiums physically offer all multipliers?  A lot of early boards didn't have them all documented.  The highest multiplier the chip can support may prove a limit-- it may be 3.0x (on the 233MHz chips, 1.5x got remapped to 3.5x) or lower.

If it were merely an excercise for your amusement, I'd do both. 

Kumi

• Senior Modder
  • Mini trucking fanatic
    • http://flatvidz.tripod.com
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 07:45:35 PM »

what's the make/model of the motherboard?

Have you tried googling it?

all i know is the computer is a old at&t globalyst.

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 05:03:43 AM »

I've gotta say that the likely investment of time and or money that would be required to even find out if the processor is stable over 120mhz isn't worth it for something that old, in my opinion.

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005, 12:47:41 PM »

I can get you more juice for $7!

$7 + free shipping
http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=5

Trying to OC the p120 doesn't seem reasonable to me by any means. sh*t, I remember running winamp on my p100 years and years ago, and having it bog down solitare. It was free I assume since you said a friend gave it to you. You can spend under $10 and get the fastest cpu that board can handle, then try to OC that a tiny bit. If I was in your position, thats what I'd do, then load win98se on it, fill it full of old cheesy DOS games, and give it to my mom. She loves that crap. Then again you could replace the shell=explorer.exe sh*t with diablo, and make it your very own dedicated Diablo 1 rig, and mod the hell out of it. It's almost tempting enough for me to go to a flea market, and pick up a similar rig for $15 and do it myself.. almost, but not quite.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 11:49:33 PM »

I will disagree with the suggestion of a P233MMX as the fastest chip you can take.

You may not be able to adjust the board to deliver a suitable core voltage, if it predates the MMX design and it's split voltage.

A K6-233 will reach its full clock speed at a setting of 1.5 (read as 3.5) x 66, and accepts a vCore of 3.2 and a vIO of 3.3.  It will probably cope with a non-split-voltage board better than a PMMX with a Vcore of 2.8.

The K6-233 is a better choice if you can't split the voltage, and it may also be faster.  Won't overclock well tho.

If you *can* split the voltage, you can try a K6-2-400.  At 2x66 (read as 6x66), it reaches full speed, but it requires a vCore of 2.2, but I've successfully ran one on a board which only went down (per the manual) to 2.5... I think the options were 2.5, 2.8, 2.9, 3.2, 3.5

Random

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 02:27:20 AM »

dont bother

MegamanEXE

• Senior Modder
    • Cross Fusion
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 06:21:30 AM »

pentium overdrive kit ftw
Whempys LAN Parties Administrator

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 20 queries.