GideonTech.com Forums

• September 17, 2019, 01:57:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Zalman CNPS7700AlCu - With Pics (56k)  (Read 3873 times)

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
Zalman CNPS7700AlCu - With Pics (56k)
« on: July 16, 2005, 02:47:19 PM »

CNPS7700-AlCu to be exact! One of these.  I can't wait for it to come in.  Don't worry, there will be tons of pics cuz of the new family digicam.  Shipped out yesterday morning and spent the night in Colorado (heading for MO).  Only $33, free shipping; I actually got the second to last one in stock.

Excuse my extaticicity.

nOObee

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 06:26:40 PM »

they're enormous. :lol:   bigger IS better.

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 10:32:37 PM »

It finally came in today and I installed it!  The first thing I have to say is WOW that's HUGE!  I guess I was expecting the whole thing fins and all to be 120mm (CD sized of course) but the fan itself is around 125mm plus 11mm on each side of fins!  Gorgeous!

Installing it was a fat pain in the ass though.  Ok ok take out the mobo, install the bracket in the back and such things, put everything back in...I was expecting that bit.  But unfortunately, I missed one of the finer points of the manual after putting on the bracket:  you can't install the CPU without having the bracket in the correct orientation!  I had taken the CPU out to clean off the old AS5 of course.  It's because the raised plastic portion stops the lever deal from coming all the way up, but on one corner (I thought it was symmetrical when I installed it and missed this) there's a sort of an indentation where the lever fits up fine.  So I unscrewed the upper portion of the bracket and was VERY afraid that the portion below the mobo would fall down and I couldn't get to it; luckyily the standoffs were just the right height and I didn't have to take off the mobo.  I also messed up the rather-complicated screw-in mechanism for the HSF itself, so I had to clean everything and reapply AS5 and such.  And also, the left screwhole in the bracket (of two) didn't have threads all the way through, so I had to push rather hard (too hard for comfort) to get it in.

But when I got it in was it great!  And the Fan Mate 2 is great for temp controls.  I can also use Speedfan and such programs that my old stock cooler wasn't compatible with (it had a 4-pin BTX style header, whereas this has a normal 3-pinner).  Old temps:  54C idle, 58C load, 37C system...and (with no ambient temp change, still around 28 to 30) I'm at 46C idle, 53C load, and 32C system!  That's 8C lower idle temps and 5C lower system temps!  Which is cool.

When I do the window on my case (for the most part, this one's a virgin to mods) I'll include a 135mm hole right on top with a vent straight in for ultimate cooling :D!  Meanwhile I can now enjoy...lower temps...and maybe some overclocking eh?

Thanks guys.  Hope I didn't bitch too much on the instalation...but this thing ROCKS I recommend it...just read the directions well!

Edit to add load temp :D!

AlienBlood

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.battlestar.us
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 12:03:25 AM »

I've been looking at the 7700's for a while, but I was always concerned about how far past the edge of teh mobo it would hang.  What kind of mobo and case are you using? ......and POST SOME PICS, dammit!!! :thumbsup:

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 01:34:44 AM »

My stupid dad took the camera!  He'll be back tomorrow :).  Zalman's website is pretty accurate as far as overhang.  My LGA775 915P Combo-Fr only has about 8mm overhand, plenty of room in my Antec 3000B case for it.  As far as I can tell all AMD mobos have 0 overhang whereas most Intel ones do.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=145&code=005009

The vast majority of recent mobos work fine.  But isntallation wasn't exactly easy for me, between a wierd mechanism to clamp it down and me f***ing up...:).

Oh load temps are 53C!  *edits first post*

Loki Xtra

• Elite Modder
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 05:19:28 AM »

Thats pretty sweet.   Out of curiosity, I watched the instalation flash on the zalmon page you linked to.  Is it just me, or does that look like it was made with Sketchup?
Nobody likes you. -Scott

Blooz1

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 10:39:09 AM »

Glad you're havin' good results, KJ!

I've been using the 7000b on my nF3 rig with very good performance also.

The install is a bit of a pain, but the results are worth it!

AlienBlood

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.battlestar.us
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 11:30:37 AM »

haha oh yeah...I learned firsthand about the LGA775 adaptor about a month ago (for a 7000Cu).......... except the mobo was DOA, so I had to do it twice  =(

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 02:59:17 PM »

Yup.  I got my paws on the camera, but I don't know where its cable is and for some reason, the jpegs on the SD card aren't readable in windows...so I need to find that usb cable!  It is seriously silent in "Silent" mode, at 800rpm, but I can only get it up to 1800rpm because my motherboard is also auto-managing and it trying to keep it quiet...good intentions I guess.  Speedfan should remedy that of course.

I haven't seen the video you mention *watches*

Wow that's a lame video.  Wish it had gone that easily.

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 01:09:53 AM »

Pics!

Outside of case

Inside, see some of stock HSF

Closeup on mobo

Rear exhaust control (left), FanMate 2 (right)

Bad lap job on Intel's part!  Concave!

Work area

Lovely assistant Molly; eyes not really green; stock heatsink in corner
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 20 queries.