GideonTech.com Forums

• November 18, 2018, 01:25:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detroit Edison killed my wallwart!  (Read 966 times)

Phil

• Senior Modder
Detroit Edison killed my wallwart!
« on: June 13, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »

Well, I shouldn't be surprised but I'm dismayed right now.  My D-Link 514 routers wallwart is putting out half nominal voltage and my network's downtime is piling up.  I can fix the wallwart for $1.50 + shipping from digikey, but I don't want to be without a network waiting for a new schottky rectifier to arrive.  New powerbricks cost more than the router (ahh sweet irony), so I beleive I'll make it molex powered for the time being (it is 5V, 2.5A which works out to a doable 13Watts for my server's power supply) and order the part to fix the supply along with parts for a Cmoy headphone amp.  

Now that the rational stuff is out of the way, I'll reveal why I'm pissed.  This was not an accidental outage.  About 30mins before the outage the cable company went around to area poles and farted around.  After the power went out (right away, only 5mins after) I walked to the sound of a generator and found the cable boxes running on them.  They cut power to the area, informed the service companies, and gave us normal customers no F*cking notice!  I may only be out a buck fifity and the inconvience of fixing this temporary mess, but it honks me off there isn't a common courtesy regulation that requires informing people when you are going to cut services.

Gah, now I need to solder together some adapter for this thing...

Syberz

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:21:22 AM »

You could always complain to the power company and try to get a rebate out of 'em for the inconvenience.

Storm_Crow

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 07:46:31 AM »

we get a letter in the mail saying the time and date they gonna cut power, water or gas. our council made it a bilaw
Rock crushes scisors, but paper covers rock, and scisors cuts paper... we have a canundrum

Phil

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

Well, I have my router running off of my servers powersupply and it seems to work pretty well.  I'm still annoyed though because now every 4 hours our power browns then blacks out, then pops on and off for about 10mins and then is stable for almost exactly 4 hours.  This happened at 4AM (I was awake anyway, so not that bad), 8:30 AM (that one pissed me off and woke me up), and then at noon sharp (I was gone, but I bribed my little sister to turn off my window air conditioner until it had passed).

My computers are all on UPS's, but this crap wreaks havoc with appliances and air conditioners (like my brand spanking new window unit).

Oh well, maybe 4PM will be different but I'm not counting on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.