GideonTech.com Forums

• April 20, 2019, 09:16:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: $300??!!  (Read 2602 times)

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
$300??!!
« on: June 08, 2005, 06:24:20 PM »

well, my car has developed a problem with its power windows and one of the motors doesnt seem to work anymore. i went to a mechanic today and the parts he would have to order (and i saw this confirmed on his computer system and heard it over the phone) were $300 for a power window motor (thats right, one tiny motor)
he and i were both rather upset/laughing at this

question is, do i have an alternative? if i find out what voltage it required and whatnot (i assume 12v?) could i just stick another cheap $5 motor in there and have it work as well? obviously i would have to mod the door a bit to fir the motor.

ps... the car is a 1991 nissan maxima, the rear passenger side (right) door is the one with the broken motor

Syberz

$300??!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »

... or you could go to a scrap yard and get a used one for 40$...

castor jay

• Senior Modder
$300??!!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 06:32:16 PM »

like syberz said the scrap yard is a good idea, same thing happened to my mothers nissan altima and they said it would be about 450 for the motor and for them to replace it.

tayloh

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.taylorhain.com
$300??!!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 07:40:05 PM »

ditto on the scapyard.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
$300??!!
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 07:41:21 PM »

junkyards are great for most parts. i don't trust anything electrical from one though. plus if you've ever changed a window motor before, you know you don't EVER want to f*ck with it again.

this link has em for $120 + a $25 core you get when you send em your old one. i'd check em out first before i order but this was one of the first results from favorite search engine. also, don't get the reman, get the new one. its only $4 more and i rarely have luck with anything remanufactured. refurb computer part are about the equivalent.

on a side note, is everyone so lazy they can't think for themselves. nothing personal, not singling out your post,  but jesus-tapdancing-christ... most posts anymore are a question a quick internet search would bring up in less than a second and maybe 2-3 clicks on a relevent link. i'm getting a little bitter\sober and its bugging me.

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
$300??!!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 08:06:11 PM »

Sure it's the WHOLE motor?

On my family's 2001 Sonata, one window died cos the plastic "wheel" which held the cable which actually drove the window broke in a manner where it no longer retained the cable properly.  Perhaps it's a similar "small part of the whole assembly" thing.

Our solution was to ignore the problem and roll the window to full closed, cut the cable, and pretend we only had three power windows. :D

I actually prefer manual windows, but these days, what doesn't have them?

Beholdereye

• Case Mod Weenie
    • eXpert Marksmans League
$300??!!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 08:31:42 PM »

When that happend in my old truck I drilled a hole and converted it to a crank window :D

bruno8747

• Elite Modder
$300??!!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 08:36:59 PM »

Ok i had a nissan maxima with this problem before.  My problem was the the motor was good but the cable slipped off the roller and got tangled up and the window would not work.  So i would say pop open the door panel and see whats goin on,

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=148335&highlight=windows+AND+wont+AND+open

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
$300??!!
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:01:22 PM »

This happened on my old civic, motor was shot on passenger side. I got the entire assembly on that auction site for about $50. Took about 2 hours to install myself, which involved ripping out the door panel and making sure the glass didn't shatter on my arm.

Anyhow, scrapyard is a good choice you choose to go the local route.

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

urgannagru

• Elite Modder
$300??!!
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 11:47:38 PM »

anything i should know before i take the door off? special tools needed? (i assume just a screwdriver). can anyone think of a good website that shows me where all the screws i need to remove are so i dont accidentally rip the doorpanel or something?

edit: thankfully after hours of forum trolling i found an answer:
http://www.4dsc.com/articles/interior/window_regulator_cb/window_regulator_cb.shtml
and
http://www1.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/1f/5b/d8/0900823d801f5bd8.jsp

so the question now is: how do i tell if the problem is the motor, the regulator, or both?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.