GideonTech.com Forums

• May 31, 2020, 02:43:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inverter meant for 12" CCFL...can it be used for 4"  (Read 1471 times)

dgevert

• GT Fanatic
Inverter meant for 12" CCFL...can it be used for 4"
« on: April 04, 2005, 06:08:59 AM »

I have the Vantec 305 fan/light controller...but the 12" CCFLs it comes with are huge, preventing me from mounting them where I would like in my PC65.  I just got my 4" CCFL kit...not sure if I can use the 4" CCFLs anyway given how freaking short the wiring for them seems to be though...but if the wires are long enough, can I plug them into the inverter on the fan/light controller without blowing anything up??

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 09:20:06 AM »

All CCFL converts the power from DC 12V to 120V AC. So if the plugs fit and the wires can reach. You can use any inverter to power the CCFL's.
Now live in the Twin cities.

bruno8747

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 02:31:21 PM »

Yes the inverter will work but as you extend the wires for the 4" lights the light will get dimmer.

dgevert

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 02:36:11 AM »

Hmm, I was under the impression that CCFL wiring couldn't be extended period.  How dim are we talking about?  If I could add about 9-12" of wire length it would be enough to get the CCFLs where I want them...

flamingboard

• Elite Modder
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 05:44:04 PM »

i extended the wires on my CCFLs and i haven't had a problem. just make sure you use good wire cause a friend of mine used thin speaker wire to extend his and it almost started a fire when it melted through the insulation.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 11:17:20 PM »

Extending wires is fine if you have wire that is well insulated.  At least 1000 volts rating on that insulation.  If you can buy test lead wire for replacing the test leads (suprise!) on multimeters, you're set.  Which brings me to my second point: inverters meant for running microwaves and televisions off of a car battery convert 12 volts into 120 volts AC.  CCFL inverters, while using the same principle, are not the same.  They convert 12 volts into several hundred volts AC.  And no, you cannot use an inverter for 12 inch tubes with 4 inch tubes.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 35 queries.