GideonTech.com Forums

• July 12, 2020, 11:33:27 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: what is the best  (Read 3449 times)

Shiz

• Elite Modder
what is the best
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 01:04:54 AM »

for one the cold heat has limits. you cant desolder something, once you put solder on something, its nearly impossible to manipulate it with the cold heat. i ended up busting out my old soldering iron to finish the wiring i did.

AMD_Junk13

• Elite Modder
    • Ross Computer Technologies
what is the best
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 09:22:25 PM »

25 Watt Iron will handle most electronic soldering jobs well.
New specs tba...

damaged

• Elite Modder
  • Keep your drinks, just give me the money...
what is the best
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 09:36:41 PM »

Quote from: AMD_Junk13
25 Watt Iron will handle most electronic soldering jobs well.

I agree. I have a 25 watt radio shack soldering iron (came in a kit with a cheapass spool of solder and a stand with wet sponge) and I also have a 100watt soldering "gun".

I haven't found anything related to computers that required the gun. It belongs to my dad.. I have no idea wtf it's for other than scribbling your name onto the chests of torture victims.
"It puts the lotion on the Chen, or it gets the hose again." - Schezuan Bill

Tank

• Senior Modder
what is the best
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 11:44:44 PM »

Quote from: damaged

I haven't found anything related to computers that required the gun. It belongs to my dad.. I have no idea wtf it's for other than scribbling your name onto the chests of torture victims.

I believe that the gun can be used for plumbing applications and the like. But your idea, that's original.
Egomaniacal Normans Love Emerald Nuts.

Alric_the_mad

• Senior Modder
what is the best
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 12:33:17 AM »

my soldering gun just sucks. and we've always used a propane torch for soldering on plumbing.

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 43
what is the best
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 09:17:31 PM »

i used to have a 25 watter, but it took too long to get going and the joints it produced were low quality because it wasn't hot enough for solder rated for a 20w iron.

so i got a 35 watt.  it's perfect for just about everything.  not too hot, but hot enough.

Psycho Clowns

• Elite Modder
what is the best
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 11:23:02 PM »

The guns is for soldering wires. You will never run out of heat.  Lots of car guys use them. Can do alot of thick wires consecutively.

infallablelogic

• GT Fanatic
what is the best
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 12:41:11 AM »

Cold heat sucks.  I got one because I like to work on my rc cars at the nice dining table, and if i droped a reg. iron on it my parents would kill me.  I did the entire calc mod just with that, and after geting a dual temp iron, i realized how easy soldering really was, and how much the cold heat sucked.  just not enough wattage to do really nice jobs.  and its impossible to do heat shrink with it.  Also the tips break way to easy, and can't take high temps.
Proud owner of a graphing calc with underglow.

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
what is the best
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 11:42:17 AM »

Radio Shack has a nice low 30 watts (or something like that) watt unit that is like 10 dollars that is perfect for smd

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
what is the best
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2005, 12:28:59 PM »

Quote from: infallablelogic
Cold heat sucks.  I got one because I like to work on my rc cars at the nice dining table, and if i droped a reg. iron on it my parents would kill me.  I did the entire calc mod just with that, and after geting a dual temp iron, i realized how easy soldering really was, and how much the cold heat sucked.  just not enough wattage to do really nice jobs.  and its impossible to do heat shrink with it.  Also the tips break way to easy, and can't take high temps.

Doing a Calc mod with the cold heat I can see where you are not happy with it.

When they 1st came out I got one (Now own 2). They work great if you are working on a car and repairing some electical wire under the care or in the dash. If your doing Eletronic work then I would say an old fashsion Soldering iron is the best.  If you have the spare cash then ...
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/1380.pdf would be good and you can get the tips for doing surface mounting. but since we are all modder I would tend to expect to see more tips modified and re-tin.
Now live in the Twin cities.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 75 queries.