GideonTech.com Forums

• July 11, 2020, 06:21:40 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swapping Grounds on PSU molex connectors?  (Read 3509 times)

Tritt

• GT Fanatic
no image when starting up
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 09:33:33 AM »

After Sleeving my wires and putting the PC back together I came up with no image upon firing up the PC.  All my Components and fans came on as normal but my monitor displayed nothing.  After some tinkering around I RMA'ed my MOBO back to ASUS (K8V Deluxe).  It came back yesterday and I still have the same problem.  I have tried my graphics card and CPU in other computers and they work fine.  After talking with ASUS tech support and trying different things they suggested trying a different PSU which I don't have.  Can anyone point me to a site that explains the testing procces of a PSU so I can make sure the one I have is okay.  It would be very helpful.  

thank you

Tritt
Tritt
AMD64 3200+,ASUS K8V Deluxe,2X 512 Kingston Hyper X, 120gig SATA,Saphire Radeon 9800XT,Thermaltake Fanless103 CPU
Cooler,ZALMAN Dual Heatpipe VGA Cooler
,Audigy 2 ZS

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
Swapping Grounds on PSU molex connectors?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 10:39:12 AM »

http://pc-mod.com/articles/atx/
or
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/2powersupplies.html

Check your Wiring and the voltages.

Both give the basic info. The 2nd gives a better Idea on where and voltage readings should be IMHO.
Now live in the Twin cities.

Tritt

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 02:29:35 PM »

Thanx to those who tried to help.  Problem solved.  Word of advice: Make sure the 115/220 selector on the back of the PSU is in the Proper place.  DOH!!!  

Tritt
Tritt
AMD64 3200+,ASUS K8V Deluxe,2X 512 Kingston Hyper X, 120gig SATA,Saphire Radeon 9800XT,Thermaltake Fanless103 CPU
,Audigy 2 ZS

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 03:07:59 PM »

Quote from: Tritt
Thanx to those who tried to help.  Problem solved.  Word of advice: Make sure the 115/220 selector on the back of the PSU is in the Proper place.  DOH!!!  

Tritt

hahaha

:lol:
Now live in the Twin cities.

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 12:39:03 PM »

Quote from: MaxamusCrasious
To put it simpily, for every inlet of power you need a outlet of equal carrying capacity,

No, that shows a misunderstanding of the term power.

Power is dissipated in circuit elements. That power dissipated is calculable--it's the product of the current through the element and the voltage across the element.

Let's work an example.

To keep this easy, let's have you wire a 100 ohm resistor across the red and black wires on your molex connector. We know the red wire is +5V with respect to ground, so we have the voltage across the resistor: 5V. We can easily calculate the current through the resistor: V= I*R, so I = V/R = 5V/100 ohms = 0.05 A. Now we can calculate the power dissipated in that resisotr: P= V * I = 5V * 0.05A = 0.25W.

That quarter of a watt isn't "returned" to the PSU, it's converted to heat by the resistor. That's where your statement goes wrong.

If you had said the current flowing in equals the current flowing out, that would have been okay. But power and current are quite different.

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2005, 12:44:37 PM »

Quote from: linear
Quote from: MaxamusCrasious
To put it simpily, for every inlet of power you need a outlet of equal carrying capacity,

No, that shows a misunderstanding of the term power.

Power is dissipated in circuit elements. That power dissipated is calculable--it's the product of the current through the element and the voltage across the element.

Let's work an example.

To keep this easy, let's have you wire a 100 ohm resistor across the red and black wires on your molex connector. We know the red wire is +5V with respect to ground, so we have the voltage across the resistor: 5V. We can easily calculate the current through the resistor: V= I*R, so I = V/R = 5V/100 ohms = 0.05 A. Now we can calculate the power dissipated in that resisotr: P= V * I = 5V * 0.05A = 0.25W.

That quarter of a watt isn't "returned" to the PSU, it's converted to heat by the resistor. That's where your statement goes wrong.

If you had said the current flowing in equals the current flowing out, that would have been okay. But power and current are quite different.

WOW, Will you marry me ;)
It is a pleaseure to read your post Dude.

dgevert

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2005, 12:58:41 PM »

Quote from: Tritt

Tritt

You are lucky; if you were over here in Europe (I'm American military stationed in Italy) you would've cost yourself a lot of money doing that...

linear

• Senior Modder
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2005, 12:59:00 PM »

Quote from: ClearCaseMan
WOW, Will you marry me

I think we'd have to move to Massachussetts...  :lol:

Tritt

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2005, 02:10:16 AM »

I'm USAF at Luke
Tritt
,Audigy 2 ZS

linear

• Senior Modder
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2005, 10:26:48 AM »

Well, words have meanings.

I'm not criticizing you personally or anything like that--I just wanted to clarify your improper use of a technical term. I would expect that if you misused a technical term in the overclocking or video card forums you'd get much the same response--it's not an "electrical engineer" thing, it's a technology thing. You can't really discuss technology without using technical terms correctly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 117 queries.