GideonTech.com Forums

• July 17, 2019, 08:15:12 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: broken LCD  (Read 1599 times)

m_cheng

• GT Fanatic
broken LCD
« on: January 08, 2005, 07:10:39 AM »

ok, here's the thing... today I decided to fiddle with my car stereo by changing the SMD LEDs in the face plate. There's this plastic casing that I had to remove to get to the LEDs, but in the process of removing it, I managed to break the LCD. There's a good chunk of it missing, but the missing part is all along the border (not in the visible portion of the LCD). It actually broke where the contacts were connecting to the LCD.

I was wondering if it's possible to fix this.

I fiddled around with the contacts and managed to get a portion of it working again by pressing the contact against the LCD. I'm thinking of using some electrically conductive glue to glue the contacts back along the edge of the crack. Any idea if this will work?

Are the contacts supposed to touch the surface of the LCD or the edge?

here's a top view:

Code: [Select]

-o--o--o--o  o  o   <-- contacts/edge of LCD
           \______  <-- broken part
-----------------+  <-- visible screen starts here
                 |
   LCD           |
                 |
-----------------+

The stereo works fine, and the left 3/4 of the screen still works, I'm just wondering if anyone's ever tried something like this, or heard of someone else doing an LCD repair.

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
broken LCD
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 07:50:28 PM »

Can we get a photograph of the damage?  Depending on the type of connection your LCD uses, your chances are actually getting the thing working again are mediocre at best.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

Firespark

• Elite Modder
  • What am I typing?
broken LCD
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 08:52:51 PM »

when you think electrically conductive glue, think getting a sewing needle, and spreading it on each contact with that so that it never touches even half way over to the next contact. then and only then will you be able to repair it. Now, assuming you can do that (i would immagine that it IS possible...), why not try it? your screwed otherwise...

m_cheng

• GT Fanatic
broken LCD
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 05:35:47 AM »

I fiddled around with it some more, and found out that the contacts have to touch the surface (not the edge). I managed to get a couple of them to work, but some of them are just damaged too much.

Thanks for the input guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 18 queries.