GideonTech.com Forums

• July 05, 2020, 08:40:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PHYSICAL network switch  (Read 4528 times)

m_cheng

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 11:10:09 PM »

You could try modding a KVM to do the trick. Simple KVMs are a mess of wires inside. It's a lot of soldering, but I suppose it's possible. Don't know about packet loss either.

Mikecx

• Elite Modder
  • I am the Lord of the Dance
    • My DeviantArt
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 01:46:30 AM »

Quote from: Daneel
electronic triggering is hard, you'd probably need a kit from [insert local electronics store here].  look for serial (aka, com port) as this is the easiest method.  you'd be wanting something that comes with software as well as writing software for that wouldn't be a walk in the park.

Actually, the software end would be relatively easy. Use a port control package (needed for XP and maybe 2k). The LPT port is easier in my opinion but neither is all that hard in this case. All you are doing is telling a pin on the port to go high. Now the question of why. Doing something like this could easy confuse windows. It also doesn't make sense to me why you couldn't just have a small hub connected on the desk. One connection to the computer and one of the two others connected at all times. It seems like a software controlled switch is the lazy man's approach to not wanting to lift a finger and get out a chair. If you do want to take this approach, and don't mind a little R&D time it won't be a hard project to make. There are plenty of tutorials out there on how to turn on a LED with serial/parallel with software and schematics. Add one or two things (do they make digital switches or would a relay do it) and you are done.
The hill was muddy but we made dew.

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 06:33:51 AM »

I'm writing a load balancer for a small web-site that has grown a little faster than expected.

Now that I have redundancy in the web servers, the load balancer is a single point of failure.  So now I have 2 load balancers ready to go (one is a standby)  When the standby load balancer cannot reach the primary balancer, it sends me an e-mail, and I would have to make the switch.

I'd rather not have to get up at 2 in the morning  :zzz:   :zzz:  and drive 30 miles to work to do the switching....

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 43
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2004, 06:44:19 AM »

ok, now i'm confused, can you draw out a diagram of how these compuers and switches are connected to the network and to each other now and how you want them (ie, before and after diag)

ucffool

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2004, 10:23:30 AM »

I wish I had advice on how to wire this, but that's not my expertise.
What I can do is offer a better explanation of what I THINK you want so others can help.
Basically, if the connection fails (in the case you are using, the electronic circuit reports as OPEN (normally closed: network working), sends you an email (response to the trigger of the circuit opening, or network failing), and then you physically switch to the other network. Instead, you want the response to be an email and for it to switch over to the other network (change the original network to NORMALLY CLOSED and set the other one to NORMALLY OPEN).

That's the sort of thing you are asking for... no clue how to set that up like I said, but it seems like something I run into at work: DVR for Security Systems.
Immortal
~~~~~~
AthlonXP 1700+ || Biostar M7MiA-R || 350W Antec
GeForce3 Ti200  || 512MB DDR 2100 Generic
*GF3 stock speeds, vid-out failed, onboard raid failed, 1x512mb failed and replaced with 256mb*

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2004, 02:13:54 PM »

Proposed:
Code: [Select]
                                          +---+
                              +------------|   |
                        +---+ |            |   |
                        | A /-+            |   | (Primary Load Balancer)
   Internet -------------/|              +-+-+ (x.x.x.1) and (y.y.y.1 for 2nd network)
(All the users)         |    -+              |
                        | B | |            +-+-+
                        +---+ +------------|   |
                                           |   |
                                           |   | (Standy Load Balancer)
                                           +---+ (x.x.x.1) and (y.y.y.2 for 2nd network)

Operation:
1. Both load balancers have the same IP address, but only one is physically
   connected to network one (x.x.x)
2. Standby load balancer communicates with primary load balancer via a
   2nd connection (network (y.y.y), serial etc)
3. If it can't find the primary load balancer, the standby load balancer
   sends a signal to the switch that takes the connection from the
   primary load balancer and begins accepting subsequent requests

Now:
I have one network cable and move it from one load balancer to the other when needed

Thanks for the help guys!  If we could afford two Cisco load balancers, I wouldn't need to do this but....  Money doesn't grow on trees!

Dave303

• Elite Modder
  • Thats MR. Slacker to you
    • MalatoryMods
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2004, 03:31:30 PM »

If you were doing this under Linux. I would say get the linux hacks book. It has a quick over view on how you can do some load balancing with 1 nick in each computer and how to bring up and down a virtural Nic. So you dont loose any information. this Might give you some more insite on how to do what you are looking at.

EDIT*

it also gives information on how to reset the switch and return things to normal once the other systems recovers.
Now live in the Twin cities.

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2004, 05:37:15 PM »

Yet ANOTHER reason for me to try out Linux......

meander

• Senior Modder
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2005, 09:34:42 AM »

Quote from: Nate53085
Quote from: Daneel
a double throw 8 pole switch will be hard to come across, try your local electronics mega-warehouse.

otherwise, get a bunch of double throw double pole switches and glue a handle onto them for easy use.

Only 2 pair are used....forget which 2.  Been a while since my cisco net courses, but google it.

it is the orange and the green pairs that are used. it hasnt been too long since my cisco courses... :)
i7 M 640, 8GB DDR3, 500GB SATA2, nVidia 330M
M=C2D E6850, 4GB DDR2, 320GB SATA2, 8800GTS Superclocked

Entens

• Senior Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com/firecrackerman16
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2005, 10:01:03 AM »

holy thread reserection batman!
Uhh...Jeez...freakin' idiot!
"Yay! Now we can all get high!!" ~~The M@trix
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 77 queries.