GideonTech.com Forums

• July 12, 2020, 11:30:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: PHYSICAL network switch  (Read 4563 times)

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« on: December 24, 2004, 07:10:46 PM »

Does anyone of an ELECTRONIC RJ-45 switchbox?  I'm working on two different projects that could use one.

Project one - switching a pc from one physical network to another (running sniffer software)

Project two - having 2 computers with the same IP address that can be switched out at the flip of a switch.  This is where an electronic switch would be useful.  I want to trigger the switching under "fail-over" conditions.

Thanks
Brad

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 09:13:39 PM »

both projects are bound to be riddled with network issues. why would you want this?

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 09:39:14 PM »

It would sure be easy enough to build--just get a couple Leviton quickport RJ45 modules and a faceplate. Interrupt whichever pairs you see fit with physical (or PHYSICAL ;) ) switch. Zero actual circuitry.

This is similar to the passive Ethernet tap people occasionally use for running an intrusion detection system.

Whether it's a good idea or not, I think it would be interesting to experiment with.

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 10:08:07 PM »

What issues do you see?  From the software stand-point it's already coverered.  

We're currently physically switching cables to do what we want, it's just that a switch of some sort would make it easier.

The mechanical switches I've seen run about $30 and the electronic (though still manual) ones run about $70.

I was just looking for other opinions on the idea.

Brad

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 10:29:20 PM »

Quote from: linear
It would sure be easy enough to build--just get a couple Leviton quickport RJ45 modules and a faceplate. Interrupt whichever pairs you see fit with physical (or PHYSICAL ;) ) switch. Zero actual circuitry.

This is similar to the passive Ethernet tap people occasionally use for running an intrusion detection system.

Whether it's a good idea or not, I think it would be interesting to experiment with.

I was just trying to emphasize that I wasn't looking for a smart hub (aka switch)  :embr:

Thanks for the link.  It looks interesting.

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 43
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 11:03:26 AM »

a double throw 8 pole switch will be hard to come across, try your local electronics mega-warehouse.

otherwise, get a bunch of double throw double pole switches and glue a handle onto them for easy use.

Nate53085

• Senior Modder
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2004, 11:35:06 AM »

Quote from: Daneel
a double throw 8 pole switch will be hard to come across, try your local electronics mega-warehouse.

otherwise, get a bunch of double throw double pole switches and glue a handle onto them for easy use.

Only 2 pair are used....forget which 2.  Been a while since my cisco net courses, but google it.
So put that in your pipe and grep it

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 12:03:55 PM »

APC makes a manual switch that does what I need.  http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/ABL_Switchbox/1400/282020/

Now if I could find one that could be electronically triggered.....

njbrad

• GT Fanatic
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2004, 01:59:00 PM »

I just noticed my second star!!!  I wonder when that happened?!

You posted for the 20th time.  Please don't make a new post for stuff like this. - GTF Mod

Daneel

• Elite Modder
  • Briefcase PC
    • Clan | 43
PHYSICAL network switch
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 09:54:20 PM »

electronic triggering is hard, you'd probably need a kit from [insert local electronics store here].  look for serial (aka, com port) as this is the easiest method.  you'd be wanting something that comes with software as well as writing software for that wouldn't be a walk in the park.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 62 queries.