GideonTech.com Forums

• August 04, 2020, 05:22:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: vinyl dye, the myth, the legend  (Read 28889 times)

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
vinyl dye, the myth, the legend
« on: May 05, 2002, 10:09:00 AM »

I keep getting peppered with questions about vinyl dye, and it seems that a new thread gets started everytime someone has a question.  So Im going to try and wrap this all up in one post.

Basically vinyl dye is a type of paint that is used primaraly for the use on plastic.  The theory behind vinyl dye is that the coloring is thin enough that it will actually seep into the plastic and color it, rather than painting over its surface.  The benifits of this are that it wont chip, scratch, or peel.  It also means that you do not need to sand, or to use a primer.

Someone was going to try and use sanding, but I never heard how it turned out.  My attemps at sanding vinyl dye were utter failures.  All that happens is that you get a project that used 5 times the dye with no real effect besides the plastic having scrach marks in it.  

Vinyl dye will also leave surface impressions visiable, such as lettering cut in cd-rom drives, and deep scraches.  It wont fill them like paint.

I have never used vinyl dye on metal surfaces, and I have heard of it going both ways.  Some say that it will flake right off, but others have had good luck with it.  I think that it has to do with the brand of vinyl dye and the application.

Another nice feature of vinyl dye is that if you use a color (not black) or white the printed on lettering of anything that you paint will show through.  Like the words on drives, or things printed on your front bezel.  It should show through the dye.  In theory this should apply to keyboard too.  Unfortunatly, I have used black keyboards on all my projects and just left the black keys, so I really dont know.

To dye black parts a color, you have to first get a white vinyl dye and dye the black out to a light gray.  If you put dye on black parts, you get a really really dark version of what your color is.  Simalar if you were going to dye a black t-shirt red.  You cant add red and make a red t-shirt.  You have to bleach it out first.

GT forums:
http://forums.gideontech.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2677&forum=4&15
http://forums.gideontech.com/viewtopic.php?topic=2455&forum=4&60

A good guide to vinyl dye:
http://www.linear1.org/mods/vdye.php

My Website:
http://www.merliniworks.com

Some of the work that I did:
Front bezel, and drives dyed.
Notice how the lettering in the bezel is still visiable.
Rustolem Red and Plasikote Red Vinyl Dye match really, really well.
This time in blue.
All the red matches... how nice.
A black keyboard and some vinyl dye will get you...
A Optical mouse and vinyl dye...

(I will add more links as I find them or they are submited.)

Updated: July 14, 2002 10:43 in the PM.

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2002, 08:37:00 PM »

nice mini-guide!

now, for a truely unique finish, I'm gonna go out, vinyldye my case, and then clearcoat it, fo' sure, I'll have the more uniquey unique case this side of the mountains..

also, if you're talking about vinyl dye, then why are we concerend over your 5th pic, a picture of the lighting????

lol j/k

but nj merlin...

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2002, 08:38:00 PM »

Um, the nice reflection of the lights in the vinyl dye?

MetalIce

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.freewebz.com/ericfishor/index.htm
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2002, 09:16:00 PM »

Well I don't have a pic of it yet, but I was creating a "grid" pattern on my black dyed case. Well I found you can bleach the design in with tape applied at little if any risk of "bleeding" I just secured some decorator's tape so the first part of the patern was set gave it three passes of white the a pass of, yes, green dye... presious presious green dye... and it ended up about what I expected the green would look like to start. (I'm still dying it so I'll finish before posting pics.)

pewterpez

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.eviltangerine.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 09:23:00 PM »

huh metallice?

we're gonna need some quality to pix, cuz I'm more confused than I am when it comes to AP World History (BAH!)

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2002, 01:20:00 AM »

thanks for the mini-guide, merlin! i was literally jumping from old thread to old thread getting some info on this vinyl dye.

so what are the 'good' brands, other than "Plastikote Ultra Vinyl Color"? what have you guys tried?

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2002, 01:42:00 AM »

Thats the stuff that I use... unfortunatly the color selection is somewhat limited. Otherwise, its a great product.

UnLoadeD

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2002, 11:12:00 AM »

DupliColor makes a good vinyl dye too. Also I dyed my front bezel and wasnt happy with how the orange-peel texture of it looked, so i wound up sanding it down smooth, then redyed it, looks much better. Next time I'll sand first.

RaDragon

• Elite Modder
  • Tee hee hee.
    • RaDragon.com
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2002, 04:59:00 PM »

ok, i went to my local home depot and did not find any plastikote brand vinyl dye. what i did find was a 'rust oleum' brand vinyl dye, but it seemed like it was for chairs, fabrics, vinyl car dashboards, etc. in other words, it did not clearly say that it can be used on plastic.

is this the same stuff?? (i haven't bought it yet). also, home depot only had 2 colors: black and white. :(

merlinicorpus

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • One with the corn.
    • merliniworks
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2002, 09:38:00 PM »

Thats the stuff.  Try automotive stores, they seem to be the best place to look for it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 33 queries.