GideonTech.com Forums

• October 14, 2019, 12:33:20 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Alkaline vs "heavy duty" batteries  (Read 3189 times)

Bill030

• Case Mod Weenie
Alkaline vs "heavy duty" batteries
« on: December 07, 2004, 10:36:34 PM »

I've got a project I'm working on that requires the use of AA batteries. I'm not looking at anything really expencive but from what I understand alkaline batteries are much better than cheap heavy duty batteries even if they cost a little more. They perform better in extreme temperatures and last longer life is what I'm told. I'm also aware that heavy duty batteries have a bad shelf life while alkaline last much longer. Can anyone clarify the differences for me?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 10:50:17 PM »

According to Digikey, Panasonic's carbon-zinc LR6 batteries will take 110 hours to discharge to 0.9 volts with a continuous load of 100 ohms.  Carbon zinc cells cost 33 cents each individually or 22 cents each in a package of 60.  The alkaline batteries will take 170 hours and cost 54 cents each or 36 cents each in a package of 40.  Purchased individually, the alkaline batteries will cost 0.018 more cents per hour of life, but this difference drops to 0.012 cents per hour in bulk.  Leakage is low for both types and if the batteries are used within a few years of their manufacture date, there should not be any significant deterioration in performance.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

AzNPrideBoy

• Elite Modder
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 02:46:41 AM »

I don't think you can get a much better explaination than that!

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 12:47:51 PM »

One reason for alkaline's popularity is the they "hold up" closer to the rated voltage for longer over the useful life. This tends to be why electronics makers specify alkaline cells. In a flashlight, it's not so important since a half-bright light is better than nothing. Half voltage to a CD player wouldn't get you much at all though. Carbon-zinc is cheaper for the equivalent amp-hours (according to studies I've seen).  Spend the extra (it's not a lot) for alkaline if you need the characteristics of them. Sometimes internal resistance matters.  If you're trying to do pulses of high current (like driving a hot LED in a flashlight mod) the low internal resistance of alkalines is desirable.

There's good info on the duracell site:
http://www.duracell.com/oem/Pdf/others/ATB-5.pdf
http://www.duracell.com/oem/productdata/default.asp <- more than you want to know

geeksquad

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2004, 08:37:16 PM »

well, i do agree that alkaline is the better battery. for example, alkaline in digital cameras will allow for say 100 photos while heavy duty stuff will only go a few rounds. just my experience

geek squad

:)

Recycle Ben

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 01:36:42 PM »

Why not go with rechargeable NiMH AA batteries.  They are used in digital cameras.  I have seen them at Bestbuy and on-line at resonalble prices.  I have seen 2000mAH sized AA's.  A charger would be requried.  

If your battery usage is going to be high, NiMH might be a cost effective way to go.

BiGReD

• Elite Modder
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »

I exclusively use NiMH Rechargeable batteries.  Last as long as Alkalines if you get good ones (2000+ mAH), and you buy them once and they last a looooong time.  Beats shelling out a few dollars every time you run out of power.

crazyea6

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 05:50:32 PM »

Defintiely stay away from the Heavy Duty batteries. I think it is just a name companies give batteries so people think they are getting a good deal. I spent a small fortune on those Heavy Duty batteries and finally I came to my senses and started using alkaline. As for rechareables, I am always on the go and I dont have to worry about charging them.

nemattoad

• Elite Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 06:17:30 PM »

Quote from: BiGReD
I exclusively use NiMH Rechargeable batteries.  Last as long as Alkalines if you get good ones (2000+ mAH), and you buy them once and they last a looooong time.  Beats shelling out a few dollars every time you run out of power.

same here, i have a fleet of at least 10 NiMh batteries I have accumulated over the years that came with devices or I bought. I also have 1 NiMh 4-battery charger that is quite reliable and fast.

I use NiMh batteries in all my often used devices like my MX700, digital camera, and LED flashlight. For things that use VERY little power or are not used often, i use regular batteries from costco. Things like remote controls, logitech elite wireless keyboard (using regular crappy batteries for over 4 months without a change!).
My sig goes here

goawaystalkers

• Elite Modder
  • Hello
    • J3hijinks
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2004, 05:34:36 PM »

I exclusively use NiMH Rechargeable batteries. Last as long as Alkalines if you get good ones (2000+ mAH), and you buy them once and they last a looooong time. Beats shelling out a few dollars every time you run out of power.

Ditto
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 19 queries.