GideonTech.com Forums

• August 21, 2019, 11:59:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: $20 #1 Modding Thingy  (Read 2526 times)

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« on: December 07, 2004, 03:58:06 PM »

Hey guys!  I'm looking to do my first mod project (on an SLK1600) after the holidays are over.  Any my brother has to get me something for XMas.  So what's a good $10-$20 thing he could get?  We have a Dremel (-like tool, it's a Black&Decker Wizard Rotary Tool) but only one bit, a messed-up grinder.  So I was thinking about a set of bits or something.

All we have around are basic tools, drill, wire-cutters/strippers, we have a soldering iron...so I think the dremel bits is a good idea, but I'm just a n00b so...

What do you guys think?

Oh, btw, here's a link to the dremel thing:
The Link

blafrisch

• Elite Modder
  • Blargg
    • Look at me
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 04:19:31 PM »

I would say that getting new bits for that is not a very good idea.  Its a cordless dremel-like tool, which die very quickly when modding a case.  It would prove very agrivating to try and even cut a simple blowhole with this tool.

Some very simple recommendations: molex pin remover, googles (eye protection), something that is an accessory to modding.
You're just about as useless as JPEGs to Helen Keller.
~ Wierd Al

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 05:48:35 PM »

I might suggest one of the off-brand Dremelalikes if you have only a battery one.  My 'Nikota' one cost twenty dollars on sale, although it came with mostly non-case related bits (six different shape grinders, but only one cutting disc).

Also, consider a pair of tinsnips (ten dollars).

A voucher for a either a local electronics or surplus shop, or an online equivalent would be nice.  $20 can probably get you a surplus LCD module, or many nice switches, LEDs, or components for electronics-driven mods.

IME, asking for specific computer items opens a pandora's box.  You sorta lose the surprise when people ask 50 questions, or outright show you and ask if it's right.

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 06:30:17 PM »

needle files for detail work, maybe a nibbler for nice clean squares (if you require any), eye protection and respirator/filter (i've had several fiberglass inhalation accidents... hope i don't get silicosis :().  they're good for painting and eye protection because the dremel throws sh*t, ever see a cutoff wheel break? i thank god none of em have hit me.

i've also found my bench grinder handy at times, but those are anywhere from $40-$150 for small ones. when i comes to tools, $20 doesn't go far... maybe a set of screwdrivers...

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 07:23:24 PM »

Needle files are great for doing detail work and getting a good finish on cuts and the like.  If you plan on cutting, I agree with Piyirio that eye and lung protection is a good thing to have.  Maybe a 80 mm hole saw?
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

KJSatz

• Senior Modder
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 11:13:09 PM »

Okay guys, thanks for the replies!

Now I'm thinking, "Hey, what if my parents and bro give me some sort of magical joint-gift...muahahaha!" So I was thinking about asking for a (get this!) real live non-immitation corded DREMEL!  But I can't find any real reviews online...that one jumped out, being 51% off...so do you guys have suggestions (links please...) of Dremel tools, Dremel branded or otherwise?

Mustardmakerdeluxe

• Senior Modder
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 12:06:21 AM »

I actually have that exact set. When I bought it however it was about 20 dollars more expensive. I love it, it comes with a lot of bits, and it runs well after many jobs, I'd definately recommend it.
New Rig:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Venice Core
Foxconn NF4SK8AA-8KRS SLI Mobo
GeForce 7600GS 256mb
1024 OCZ Premier Series
350 Gigs of Storage

flamingboard

• Elite Modder
    • My Portfolio
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2004, 01:54:49 AM »

i have that set too. its nice. hasn't broken on me yet.

Alric_the_mad

• Senior Modder
$20 #1 Modding Thingy
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 03:49:03 AM »

nice dremel. I'd say go for that one. I love my old corded dremel, even though my cutoff wheels tend to break.

And yes, i have been hit in the face with a shard. yes, it drew blood.

Note: cordless dremels are not fun to use. the batteries get drained quickly and they're severly underpowered in comparison to the corded ones. I'm still wary of using my corded dremel over power setting "1".
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 18 queries.