GideonTech.com Forums

• December 11, 2019, 01:43:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old PSU  (Read 2620 times)

To-mod-or-not-to-mod

Old PSU
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »

Quote from: Entens
or perhaps you could do something to the effect of:

Computer in a PSU

Ive seen that before and thought that was brilliant!

Thanks for warning me Firespark!

PezZ

• Case Mod Weenie
    • http://www.divinelegacy.org
Old PSU
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 05:39:34 PM »

Woah crap. hah. I warned my friends to discharge the caps when he opened his PSU but he said he didn't have to. The PSU was damaged (no 12V I think it was) and he gave the guts to me for no reason.

I never discharged the caps... am using the fan that was in it as a hard drive cooler at the moment.
To sleep, perchance to dream; ah, therein lies the rub.

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Old PSU
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 07:52:03 PM »

The caps are dangerous, but if you're just going for the fan and maybe the power switch, there's no real danger of getting a hit.  Just keep your hands away from the bottom of the circuit board and the heatsinks.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

Firespark

• Elite Modder
  • What am I typing?
Old PSU
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 08:23:13 PM »

yah, i was gonna say, its just good protocol to discharge the caps if your doing some extensive diving. if the thing hasnt been plugged in for a few weeks/months though, they should have leaked most of their power.

PezZ

• Case Mod Weenie
Old PSU
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 09:06:17 PM »

AH yes, I remember now that he had been borrowing another PSU from someone until he got his order in. It'd been unplugged for about a month then, so it's good. I have the guts just kind of layin' around now.

They are still good for purely cosmetic purposes. Upon examination of the actual PSU board, I noticed one of the resistors was detached at one point and just bent at about a 30 degree angle up. Didn't look like it had been done by human hands, the PSU unit was simply given to me in gutted form. I'll probably use each component for erroneous parts on a mod or something.

But I'll keep in mind to discharge caps if I ever want to go 'deep diving'

To-mod-or-not-to-mod

Old PSU
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 11:32:24 AM »

Quote from: PezZ
AH yes, I remember now that he had been borrowing another PSU from someone until he got his order in. It'd been unplugged for about a month then, so it's good. I have the guts just kind of layin' around now.

They are still good for purely cosmetic purposes. Upon examination of the actual PSU board, I noticed one of the resistors was detached at one point and just bent at about a 30 degree angle up. Didn't look like it had been done by human hands, the PSU unit was simply given to me in gutted form. I'll probably use each component for erroneous parts on a mod or something.

But I'll keep in mind to discharge caps if I ever want to go 'deep diving'

What guts? Everything? Most of it? Some of it? What type of uses are the things salvaged being used for?

Alric_the_mad

• Senior Modder
Old PSU
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2004, 04:17:10 AM »

I've only used parts salvaged from a PSU as cosmetic. I'd prefer to use parts that I know, rather than things that could possibly destroy whatever i'm building.

To-mod-or-not-to-mod

Old PSU
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2004, 12:33:07 PM »

Quote from: Alric_the_mad
I've only used parts salvaged from a PSU as cosmetic. I'd prefer to use parts that I know, rather than things that could possibly destroy whatever i'm building.

True, but it is a risk I am willing to take.

PezZ

• Case Mod Weenie
Old PSU
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2004, 04:58:33 PM »

Hmm... Just for now the fan is cooling my hard drive. Unsure of what i'll do with the rest...

By guts, I mean everything but the metal casing. As in, I could swing it on its wires and make a very nasty, spikey imprint with the pointy soldering on the bottom :P.

To-mod-or-not-to-mod

Old PSU
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 03:06:13 AM »

Quote from: PezZ
Hmm... Just for now the fan is cooling my hard drive. Unsure of what i'll do with the rest...

By guts, I mean everything but the metal casing. As in, I could swing it on its wires and make a very nasty, spikey imprint with the pointy soldering on the bottom :P.

:lol: Will probably gut it tonight then (different timezones! Here is is 7.58AM in the morning!).
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 19 queries.