GideonTech.com Forums

• October 30, 2020, 03:10:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: coloring bondo...  (Read 9414 times)

anbicion111

• GT Fanatic
coloring bondo...
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:29:54 PM »

so ive been thinking about modding my ugly crt. i plan on adding some cathodes so the holes along the sides glow blue. how ever beige is not going to cut it so i plan on painting it black using vinyle(sp?) dye. however there are ugly lines on the front of it, id like to fix those aswell. im thinking of using bondo but will black vinyle(sp?) dye stick to the bondo? :-?

MaxamusCrasious

• Elite Modder
    • The Site Of Doom
coloring bondo...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 08:32:02 PM »

yes

ClearCaseMan

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.casemodman.com
coloring bondo...
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 08:48:15 PM »

yes but it will be very obvious where the bondo ends and the plastic begins

Nate53085

• Senior Modder
coloring bondo...
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:04:10 PM »

Even if you could cover it with a plastic substance after bondo, wouldn't the texure of the monitor plastic be an issue too?

Maybe smooth down the whole monitor as much as possible, then fill the lines with something, not bondo.....I forget the name of the plastic filler stuff, that you could smooth down similarly.  Might work?
So put that in your pipe and grep it

nOObee

• Elite Modder
coloring bondo...
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 12:10:38 AM »

you might consider just doing the dye job, and then filling the lines in with either a similar color or else a contrasting color sorta like pin stripes.  you could use crayons, or the soft wax that furniture repair dudes use to fix holes and other damage.  regular candle wax would probably also work.

Para Monkey

• GT Fanatic
coloring bondo...
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 01:23:43 AM »

Indeed it would be very obvious to where the bondo and plastic met with vinyl dye. For best results sand the entire thing down, slap in the bondo, sand again and throw your coat of primer over it. From there you have a wide choice of colors you can finish it off with, If you are worried about durability of the finish, do like i did and invest in a small detail spray gun and some automotive clear coat. Give it time to dry and you have one hell of a shell around it now :).

Otherwise n00bee has a great suggestion, just use a contrasting color so it looks like it was supposed to stick out rather than something that looks like you failed hiding :).

anbicion111

• GT Fanatic
coloring bondo...
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 10:22:51 PM »

thanks for the tips guys. one question though, willthe primer stick to the plastic? doi need to treat the plastic first? another thing, by detail brush do you mean airbrush b/c i have a little badger airbrush aswell as an automotive sprayer. will i need to bake the paint on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 2.193 seconds with 33 queries.