GideonTech.com Forums

• June 01, 2020, 07:40:32 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Outsourcing?  (Read 838 times)

|TURK|

• Senior Modder
Outsourcing?
« on: October 01, 2004, 09:20:23 AM »

Anyone know any good resources about outsourcing? I am doing a huge project for my IS class and I am having troubles finding sources.

The topic is:

Should universities change their curriculum for CS and CIS degrees in order to adjust for offshore outsourcing?

This topic is already so played out that I'm dreading doing this project. I have heard just about every argument there is to this, but when I need one this specific, I can't find it.

ninjee

• Senior Modder
Outsourcing?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 05:33:18 PM »

Most companies now days will outsource certain parts of their operation. I work for sharp, but it is an outsourced job, so therefor i dont get the luxuries and benefits of working for them.

A couple good things to research as far as outsourcing, would be the Caterpillar / UAW974 strike about 10 years back. The only reason i bring that up, is during the strike caterpillar outsourced their jobs to various companies in an attempt to break the union.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

Hak Foo

• Elite Modder
  • Far too old for his interests
Outsourcing?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 12:42:45 AM »

Why not break down the question into several parts-- what parts of a degree programme are affected by outsourcing, and then discuss how or if each should get adjusted.

I think "We should change" or "we shouldn't change" comes out silly without specifics.

We were supposed to come out as designers, with knowledge of theory more than 32 languages, but it predates outsourcing-- you can go over and find a trade school which will churn out Java drones or MSCEs.

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
Outsourcing?
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 07:37:22 AM »

if you can get the latest issue of PC Magazine, they have an article about outsourcing (how convenient :D).  It's the issue with "smart phones" on the cover.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

timid1

• Elite Modder
Re: Outsourcing?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 03:23:44 PM »

Quote from: |TURK|
Should universities change their curriculum for CS and CIS degrees in order to adjust for offshore outsourcing?

I don't have any resources to offer you, but I did want to comment--because maybe, in my short-sightedness, I've missed the point, but it seems to me that you can play both sides of the story.  I don't believe that outsourcing is an issue for people with a Computer Science background, because if you plan to work in any government defense related effort, you must be a U.S. Citizen.   Isn't the issue of outsourcing the fact that qualified U.S. Citizens loose the opportunity to work, to less qualified foreigners?

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
Outsourcing?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 04:00:55 PM »

That is the basis of Turk's question.  Should U.S. universities change the way they teach CS because many jobs are being shipped offshore?  Government jobs, as you mentioned, are immune to such change but there is not enough space within the government sector to accommodate laid off workers and CS majors coming from U.S. universities.  While the relative qualifications of those working in other countries for U.S. based companies may be an issue, the central theme (at least in this election year) is the economic impact outsourcing will have on the U.S. tech sector and the interference it will have on the normal growth of foreign economies.
"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

|TURK|

• Senior Modder
Outsourcing?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 12:05:09 AM »

You all have made very valid points, but the whole basis of outsourcing is our own economy. We have a capitalistic economy which allows and basically forces outsourcing, but it upsets the economy when the outsourcing is focused overseas because we're not pumping money back into the economy.

I'm not sure what the professor is trying to get to, but I have to answer the question and give a presentation. I just want a good grade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 47 queries.