GideonTech.com Forums

• July 23, 2019, 01:05:03 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [?] Nice Quick Watercooling question  (Read 1318 times)

keristillax

• Senior Modder
[?] Nice Quick Watercooling question
« on: August 14, 2004, 05:36:43 PM »

Its coming time to redo my case to finally at last add in my watercooling. I saw the Orac and the radiator for it was where the front intake would be. I thought about doing this and I've decided it would to much of a pain to do it with my non-removable bays. So I'll have to put it on the top of the case. Now for the question part. I was looking through the watercooled cases on dangerden's site and the fan was inbetween the case and radiator, the fan was blowing up. I always assumed the fan would blow onto the radiator. So If im mounting the radiator on top of the case how would I want the fan to be on it? I have a Black Ice Extreme also.

Thank You

a kung-fu mastah

computerfreke911

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com/computerfreke911
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 08:21:39 PM »

It doesn't really matter. All that matters is that there is air moving through/over/pass the radiator. I'd put it on the bottom. If possible put a fan on both sides.

Abyss

• Senior Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 11:19:37 PM »

I think you should consider using a fan shim to keep air from escaping on the way to through the radiator.  I've also heard that the farther the fan is from the radiator, the less noise it makes.  Just some things to think about.

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 11:57:08 PM »

Push+Pull is generally a bad idea - you aren't increasing airflow any, just static pressure, and you're creating a lot of noise for a small increase.  You'd be best off using a shroud that holds the fan 1-2 inches off the face of the radiator, and the strongest single fan that fits your noise requirements.  

Whether the fan is on the inside or the outside of the radiator doesn't matter all that much - just do it where you have space for the shroud.

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 09:50:30 PM »

what would the shroad being 1-2 inches away do exactly? i was already planning on putting rubber in between the fan and the radiator for noise. and what exactly is the purpose of the fan shroud?

MaverikV

• Elite Modder
    • http://maverikv.gnomelan.com
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 09:53:34 PM »

1) makes sure all the air that the fan pushes goes through the rad

2) helps distribute it more evenly

Ideally, you want the fan pulling the air through the radiator to minimize the "dead zone" in the center of the fan.

keristillax

• Senior Modder
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:25:11 AM »

alright thanks for the help. now i just need to gank my friends old case for when i work on mine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.