GideonTech.com Forums

• August 11, 2020, 10:16:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LCD mod question - parallel to serial?  (Read 1771 times)

V

• Case Mod Weenie
LCD mod question - parallel to serial?
« on: July 11, 2004, 08:25:38 PM »

Hey, new guy here.
I've been looking into the "cheap LCD" mod for awhile now (mostly out of boredom). I've read up on the guide at this site, as well as several guides from all over the place. I like the guide here, except that I also like my printer, and prefer to dedicate the parallel port solely to that. But I've also purchased a pretty nice 20x2 lcd from crystalfontz, so I don't want to abandon the project.

Now I'm aware of all the serial backpacks that are available (although they're beginning to be difficult to find, especially wirz), and I've actually already tried one of them - the econo lcd serial backpack from HVGtech (or whatever that site was called). Didn't work. I'd just go ahead and buy a different serial backpack and try that out, but by the end of that I would have spent as much as I would have if I had just bought a matrix orbital from the start. And not spending that much is half the fun of this.

I had actually forgotten about this whole thing for awhile, until I happened to spot a little parallel to serial converter at radioshack. And so I'm wondering... would that thing work? Or perhaps more importantly, if it could theoretically work, would it be very likely for it to work with the LCD software that's currently available? Google hasn't turned up anything on it, and I haven't read about anyone trying that anywhere... So somehow I'm predicting a barrage of 'no's,but I thought it best to check anyway.
Thanks,
V

PIYIRIO

• Elite Modder
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2004, 08:32:02 PM »

i seriously doubt it would work. the good thing about rat shack is thatr you can always return it. i'd give it a shot. you can always buy a pci parallel card. i wouldn't imagine them being too much...

*edit* see if your printer is a usb OR parallel printer... if not, use both: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-104-211&depa=1

"Lois, you better watch who you call a child. Because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedafile, and I'm not gonna stand here and argue with a pervert" - Peter Griffin

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2004, 09:09:23 PM »

if that parallel to serial converter you saw was just a 25pin to 9-pin adapter, it most probably won't work, since "parallel" and "serial" lcd wise isn't necessarily the same.  From what I've been reading, there's a pin(/s) in the pinout of the LCD for "parallel" that is needed for "serial" mode.  That is also depending on the type of LCD you have.  like if you're gonna use the parallel port in your PC, you would use all 10 pins (for example).  if you're gonna use serial, you would use one of those pins only.  Now some LCD's have a small add-on board for serial mode (like what I've seen lately, just an additional 9-pin port and an oscillator).  What you can do is find a pinout of your LCD or better yet, a datasheet to get more info.  Maybe yours was just a straight-forward parallel/serial mode and all you need is one wire for data to go to your serial port, and a +5v and GND line to power it.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

Skylined

• Elite Modder
    • mtb.com.uy : Mountain Bike Uruguay
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2004, 09:10:17 PM »

Why don't you get a PCI card with a Parallel Port?

V

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2004, 10:27:11 PM »

The only problem with that is that I'm kind of running short on PCI slots... sound card, tv tuner, modem, etc. There's an extra slot there, but I was kind of hoping to leave it free for either a wireless or firewire card.
And this LCD definitely doesn't come with serial I/O. It just has the standard 16 LCD pinouts (crystalfontz model CFAH2002A-RGB-JP)
Eh, but I guess if I can find a pci for that cheap in town, I'll just say to hell with it for now and maybe change it later. ...I'm kinda too lazy to go buy off of newegg right now, even if they do deliver extremely fast (doesn't help that I have no cash on my card).  :embr:

viridius

• Elite Modder
  • You know what I mean.
    • http://www.getyourlanon.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 12:21:34 AM »

"I'm totally going to send ninjas after you." - BalefireX

I LOVE ED

• Elite Modder
  • I am this forum's personal El Guapo
    • x24
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 09:11:56 AM »

Quote from: viridius
How about this little ditty?

interesting, interesting.  hmm.  Thanks for that one viridius.  I might try that with the mystery VFD me and error are working on.
My latest hobby: Down-voting QDB quotes from #geekissues.

linear

• Senior Modder
  • cruel, inhumane or degrading
    • linear1 case mods
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 11:31:46 AM »

When you are trying to assess the degree of difficulty, keep in mind that Matrix Orbital is an entire company built around basically the conversion of parallel LCDs to serial (and now usb). They mainly sell to shops making embedded systems--so if their usual customer base (engineers) find it easier/more cost-effective to buy a packaged solution than to design and integrate it, maybe the same would be true in your case.

You also have to consider the software side of it--if you use a homebrew serial interface, you'll have to write your own peecee software to send whatever commands and info it needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 48 queries.