Are you A+ certified?

Yes
- 15 (50%)
No
- 15 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: June 04, 2004, 07:37:25 AM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A+ Certification  (Read 2944 times)

~Link~

• Senior Modder
    • Project 365
A+ Certification
« on: June 03, 2004, 07:37:25 AM »

Just got A+ certified last weekend.  I was wondering how many people here are actually certified?
1 photo per day, for 1 year.  http://checkonetwo.ca

moojuece

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 07:55:35 AM »

had it for a few years now, have yet to see much benefit
did help me get considered for a contracting position after being out of IT long enough none of my previous experience 'counted' anymore
http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
find a Linux Users Group near you

borumas

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 08:31:25 AM »

Yeah I got mine in July of 2000, has helped a bit but I've learned that A+ isn't very well respected in IT as there are so many people out there who just buy a book, study, then get the cert when they could not even plug in a monitor to save their life.  Experience is more important than just a cert but a cert is not a bad start- that's my 2 cents, LOL.

JoeJoe

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 08:54:59 AM »

being A+ certified really does help when you are doing odd jobs for people. it kind of gives them more reason to put confidence in you that you know what your are doing. but as for getting hired because of having that cert, well, just read the above posts. but congratulations on attaining it, at least it will look good framed on your wall next to your diplomas and degrees.

borumas

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 08:59:25 AM »

Yeah, I didn't mean to be totally down on the cert, it is a good start for someone trying to break into the IT world and get a job, just don't expect to start out making good money.  Once you get the cert you should try to get any pc tech job you can, even if it pays poorly, then work there as little as 6-9 months learning all that you can and then you should be able with the experience you have at that point to get a little better job.  Most jobs want you to have at least 2 years of experience but allot of them will lower those expectations if you have a mix of experience and certifications.

GideonX

• Administrator
  • Elite Modder
    • GideonTech.com
A+ Certification
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2004, 09:07:52 AM »

got mine 4 years ago i think, forgot the exact time. dont exactly use it much :)

GTF Gallery
4 8 15 16 23 42

outonanisland

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2004, 09:30:54 AM »

i would like to get A+ cert and i am currently getting into network administration, now i always though that here in australia you had to do all these crappy college courses but if you can just buy a book to get A+cert i would do that, can anybody post a link to where to buy teh book from so i can buy it and get A+certified, being not even 17 yet having that certification would really help me get into some really good jobs at a young age, like a network administrator is gonna look at me with an A+ cert on a higher level then he/she would just your average joe, so once again whats teh book called and where can i buy it, and once i got the book what steps do i take from there.????

TIME FOR A SMOKE!!!

moojuece

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 09:34:11 AM »

there are approx 10.5 million different A+ books
just go to your local computer shop that carries books or your local book store and look for a current one
might want to check the compTIA website to see what the most current test version is
http://www.linux.org/groups/index.html
find a Linux Users Group near you

castor jay

• Senior Modder
A+ Certification
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 09:50:13 AM »

is it just a 1 day 1 test you take to get certified or do they make you go to like a few weeks of classes then a test at the end?

~Link~

• Senior Modder
    • Project 365
A+ Certification
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2004, 09:51:32 AM »

I'm 16, so I figured I'd get it to get a decent job and make some money.  Working in a comp store would be better than doin something else I hate.
1 photo per day, for 1 year.  http://checkonetwo.ca
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.