GideonTech.com Forums

• September 16, 2019, 03:39:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to lap my heatsink  (Read 3058 times)

insulglass

• Case Mod Weenie
Trying to lap my heatsink
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2004, 03:16:22 PM »

Hi, guys - just checking in.  Lots of news...

*  major site redesign at www.easypckits.com
*  now have a Paypal checkout/shopping cart
*  several additional products and kits
*  have posted lapping instructions and guides in the FAQ section

Just a heads up, I had planned on running a special next month in May as part of my site redesign - but since GideonTech was one of the first sites to review my products, I'll make the special here first.

With any Standard or Premium kit with glass purchase, I'll throw in a new "Coarse" kit, a $3 value. Your sink may or may not benefit, but it will be the fastest way to true up a sink, and it's handy to have something  a little more aggressive on hand if you ever need it.

All you need to do when you order is mention that you saw the special on GideonTech and that you want the free coarse kit.

Thanks again everyone for your support!

Dave Brown
insulglass@easypckits.com

BTW - my old email address of insulglass@charter.net is still posted here in a couple of places...  it will probably still get to me but messages are best sent to my new address above.  Thx

computerfreke911

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com/computerfreke911
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2004, 06:56:51 PM »

What up Dave. Welcome to GideonTech. Could I buy the coarse kit separately? Also, will you be emailing this deal out to your previous customers?

insulglass

• Case Mod Weenie
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2004, 10:32:43 AM »

Quote from: computerfreke911
What up Dave. Welcome to GideonTech. Could I buy the coarse kit separately? Also, will you be emailing this deal out to your previous customers?

Of coarse you can.   (I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist the pun!  :lol:   )

Probably not.  My Outlook PST file has gotta be a gig or better...  but I have never mined it for email addresses or email list work.    Posting to a forum or two and gauging results is a better way for me to evaluate my forum posting efforts in terms of marketing.  I may generate some sort of mail list in the future but really don't have any concrete plans at the present.

One glitch that I haven't been able to get fixed just yet...  my Paypal checkout is stuck on $4 shipping.  However, if you order a kit without glass, the shipping is only $1.  In this case someone would need to paypal me directly instead of going through the checkout until I get it fixed.  That's one reason I tied the free offer to a kit purchase with glass, so that it would avoid confusion and potential refunds on shipping.  But do note that my shipping is at cost, there's no profit there for me either way.

Dave
insulglass@easypckits.com

pHEnomIC69

• Senior Modder
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2004, 04:08:04 PM »

Guys you really should buy from Dave.  It is a very good yet cheap investment.  I bought the standard kit with or without glass(can't rember) it came quickly and wasn't expensive.  I polished my stock heatsink and it dropped the temperature 3-5 degress lower.  With a lapped copper heatsink and a good thermal compound you can drop the temps even lower.  I was really pleased because it was easy to do and the kit could be reused a few more times.

Loki Xtra

• Elite Modder
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2004, 02:58:52 AM »

I lapped a heastimk today.  220 to 320 to 400 to 600 to 800 to 1500.  Came out great.  

I started out just using my hands.  After about 10 painful minutes (heatsinks can be damn sharp), I had an idea.  I had bee staring at my power sander knowthing that if I used it, I would not get an even surface.  But, then I figured why not attach the heatsink to the sander and then out it on the sandpaper on the glass.  The result has great.  Much faster and it was a better job than I would have done by hand.  Only thing about this method is the you MUST keep the paper wet.  I let it start to dry out a bit and the heatsink got so hot, it started to melt the plate of my sander!
Nobody likes you. -Scott

infinitevalence

• GT Fanatic
    • http://www.undercoverpenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 04:08:30 AM »

Quote from: Loki Xtra
I lapped a heastimk today.  220 to 320 to 400 to 600 to 800 to 1500.  Came out great.  

I started out just using my hands.  After about 10 painful minutes (heatsinks can be damn sharp), I had an idea.  I had bee staring at my power sander knowthing that if I used it, I would not get an even surface.  But, then I figured why not attach the heatsink to the sander and then out it on the sandpaper on the glass.  The result has great.  Much faster and it was a better job than I would have done by hand.  Only thing about this method is the you MUST keep the paper wet.  I let it start to dry out a bit and the heatsink got so hot, it started to melt the plate of my sander!

DO NOT USE THAT HEATSINK ANY MORE!!!!! you have most likly warped the bottom when it over heated.  That is why all the lapping guides say take your time and use watter.  Also becuase you used the power sander it is very unlikly that the bottom is flat there is a danger that the bottom is either concave or convex (more likly convex) this could ethier create an opening over the cup that would be filled with thermal compund but not make contact or it could crush your die when you use it.  You can get an idea of how flat it is by looking at it and draging a razor blade very lightly over it and seeing if you can see light under the blade.  I hope this thing is ok for your sake.
AMD 2500+ M @ 2430mhz 221*11 42c | Thermalright SLK-800U w/ TTSF II | ABIT NF7-S | Kingmax Hardcore PC4000 512mb | WD 1200JB 120gb 7200rpm | SeaSonic 300w PSU w/ APFC | Skyhawk Aluminum case

outonanisland

• Senior Modder
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 04:38:08 AM »

dave do you ship to australia?

TIME FOR A SMOKE!!!

outonanisland

• Senior Modder
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 04:40:49 AM »

dave i just checked your site, i think i may be able to get everything cheaper if i just go to the local hardware, you know with shipping and all.

TIME FOR A SMOKE!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 20 queries.