GideonTech.com Forums

• October 23, 2019, 03:49:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: new watercooling concept?  (Read 2851 times)

prophecy421

• Senior Modder
new watercooling concept?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 04:51:59 AM »

If you really want to stick to the chilled reservoir idea. Pelts are not the way to go. I tried that route on my forst water cooled rig in 1998.. Its best to do as everyone else says and use the pelts for your cpu and such.. anyhow back to the chilled reservoir, what may work awesome for that purpose is one of those ice chests that stay cool via plugging into a cagarette lighter socket.  I was thinking of trying one out on my next watercooled project. Either that or a small fridge to house the reservoir.
Modding since 1992

BalefireX

• Global Moderator
  • Elite Modder
  • http://pics.aran.ws
    • pics.aran.ws
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 06:45:44 AM »

Quote from: prophecy421
If you really want to stick to the chilled reservoir idea. Pelts are not the way to go. I tried that route on my forst water cooled rig in 1998.. Its best to do as everyone else says and use the pelts for your cpu and such.. anyhow back to the chilled reservoir, what may work awesome for that purpose is one of those ice chests that stay cool via plugging into a cagarette lighter socket.  I was thinking of trying one out on my next watercooled project. Either that or a small fridge to house the reservoir.

Nope, another idea that looks good initially, but falls short when you examine the facts.  Those little ice chests that stay cool use small peltiers to lower the temperature of the interior.  However, these peltiers are much weaker than what you would would use in a PC cooling situation, because they are designed to merely remove the heat once and then keep the temperature constant.  This is why if you leave a fridge open it is no good - it is designed to cool a sealed and insulated environment to a relatively high temperature (40F or so compared to the negatives reached with a good water chiller.)  Fridges and cooled ice chests work fine for what they are meant to do, but they are not designed, and will not work, for dissipating a constant heat input.  You would see much better performance by either doing peltier chilling correctly, or pelting the blocks, or by going to phase change.

prophecy421

• Senior Modder
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 07:01:37 AM »

Quote from: BalefireX

Nope, another idea that looks good initially, but falls short when you examine the facts.  Those little ice chests that stay cool use small peltiers to lower the temperature of the interior.  However, these peltiers are much weaker than what you would would use in a PC cooling situation, because they are designed to merely remove the heat once and then keep the temperature constant.  This is why if you leave a fridge open it is no good - it is designed to cool a sealed and insulated environment to a relatively high temperature (40F or so compared to the negatives reached with a good water chiller.)  Fridges and cooled ice chests work fine for what they are meant to do, but they are not designed, and will not work, for dissipating a constant heat input.  You would see much better performance by either doing peltier chilling correctly, or pelting the blocks, or by going to phase change.

I figured the ice coolers were a no go. It was just an idea I had. :D  Ithe fridge idea may work if you used multiple reservoir scenario. but that will literally be using an ocean full of liquid.
Modding since 1992

abyss909

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 03:37:27 PM »

okay, heres another idea....im a culinary student at our local univercity-college, and the school has an automatic icecream maker for sale for like $50 CDN...its an old school one, has a big rad on it etc.  The only thing that is wrong with it is the rotor that mixes the ice cream around.  The cooling unit still works awesome (will need to be modded heavily so taht it doesnt do a constant freeze cylcle and freeze up the whole system). when taken apart and components arranged propery will fit roughly the same size and shape as the top of a mid-size pc case(on top, outside the case of course).  What makes this unit special is that the reefer coil wraps around the bowl where the ingredients are mixed.  It could easiyl be modified to say wrap around a res tank, or maybe be mounted between a fan and a rad so that cold air is passed across the rad.  If anybody has any ideas let me know...if i buy the unit i will post pics for ppl to see..
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.