GideonTech.com Forums

• October 21, 2019, 05:23:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: new watercooling concept?  (Read 2848 times)

abyss909

• GT Fanatic
new watercooling concept?
« on: May 01, 2004, 04:21:47 PM »

Ive decided to start working on building myself an external watercooling sytem to mount on top of my case.  Im trying to figure out what i can do to get the lowest water temps without setting up a phase change system.  And i came up with an idea for using pelts to actively cool water in the resovoir tanks and was wondering if anybody else had the same idea and if they did how did it turn out?..  What i was thinking of doing was taking 2 heat sinks from two old duron 750 procs.  i was going to take the fan off of one of them.  Then i was going to mount them together at the bottoms with a pelt in bewtween them...so that one side would be warm and the other side cold.  then i was going to mount the cold side in way that it would be submerged and sealed (electricity and water = bad) in the res tank near one of the inlets so that water passing over it would be cooled and the warm side would be sticking out of the top of the whole cooling case pumping hot air into where ever...I was going to do two sets of these one each on two res tanks that would sit parralel to each other...if you have any questions please ask and ideas/concerns would be cool..

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 05:34:59 PM »

wont work. just put the pelt on the proc b/n the waterblock and a cold plate. if you are really set on doing something different, put the pelts on the rad.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

abyss909

• GT Fanatic
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 05:36:37 PM »

why will it not work that way?....doesnt get cold enough maybe?

Dax1

• Senior Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »

I thought about this alot awhile back, had a similar idea and alot of different ones too.  I thought about maybe using the pelt to cool a res of water (but more like a closed res.) and coiling the tubing inside that water (I used copper tubing).  Or just making a res, and making the bottom of it a giant cold plate.  In the end I decided it wasn't worth it, and ended up using the pelt as a chiller on a second water block.

divideByZero

• Elite Modder
  • woof
    • http://www.geocities.com/flatline_racing/index1.html
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 08:49:27 PM »

it wouldnt work because the water in teh res circulates too fast to be cooled effectively by the pelts. and if you slowed it down the water in the blocks would become saturated with heat before it is ushered away by cool water. its just overall a bad idea. another thing, what if the pelts are too strong and you endup with ice crystals in the water; i dont think the pump would like that very much.
To live by the beast is to die by the beast, a trail of blood amid pawprints means nothing unless it is my own.

Fat_Chops

• Senior Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 09:11:15 PM »

Wouldn't the water in the "res" be moving the slowest?  Well, it stays in the reservoir longer than anywhere else!
You have awoken a slumbering giant.

computerfreke911

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com/computerfreke911
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:25:54 PM »

It might work but I think it will be very hard. I'd suggest using better heatsinks on the pelts if you decide to use that method. I'd just use the pelts on the CPU and GPU water blocks, if your getting a GPU waterblock.

Skating_Sniper

• Senior Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 10:59:37 PM »

also, with a pelt, youd need to cool the pelt also... so that would render it useless if you gotta cool that one too, if you put it on the res without cooling, a cascade effect would go on because the hot side of it will not cooled properly, so the heat would travel back into the cool side, then generate more and more heat beacuse it has more heat to be cooled... in essence it could melt your res, tubing or whatever

ive seen some processors melted because the pelt was left on and it not being cooled its not pretty
Modding till the day i die!!

The Wooden Badger

• Senior Modder
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2004, 12:37:47 AM »

I vote for won't work because the water won't have enough time to cool as it passes through the cold heatsink.  It would seem to me that it would be as effective as a traditional air cooling set-up, but maybe a little bit cooler.  I don't think the little bit will be work the effort.

I've contemplated running the water line through a large waterblock with a pelt on it and then a monster heatsink on it instead of sending it through a radiator.  I don't know if it would be any better than a radiator, but it might work.
If we could build a large wooden badger...

computerfreke911

• Elite Modder
    • http://www.geocities.com/computerfreke911
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2004, 01:16:16 AM »

Quote from: Skating_Sniper
also, with a pelt, youd need to cool the pelt also... so that would render it useless if you gotta cool that one too, if you put it on the res without cooling, a cascade effect would go on because the hot side of it will not cooled properly, so the heat would travel back into the cool side, then generate more and more heat beacuse it has more heat to be cooled... in essence it could melt your res, tubing or whatever

ive seen some processors melted because the pelt was left on and it not being cooled its not pretty

He said he would put some heatsinks on the pelts. Using the heatsinks he said he would, he wouldn't get very good temps.

Also, has anyone ever seen anything get destroyed by putting the pelt on with the hot side on the object they were trying to cool? That would be funny.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 18 queries.